Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone out there is pissed at buying new wipers for their 164 every 4 months there is an option. I got a set of Volvo S/V-40 blades (Volvo OE) for the 164 and they ROCK!! The Volvo blades seem to last for well over a year before they even start to streak. They have a small wing on the drivers blade that holds them down at speed so the don't chatter on the highway. Good stuff. :)

I have tried almost every wiper out there and these seem to be the best wiping and longest lasting I have found.

Paul

·
Registered
853 Posts
thanks for sharing the info... I am almost frustrated with streakin of wipers. I tried couple of different brands and they all start to streak at certain speeds right from the beginning. Will try Volvo stuff next time.

-Pavan

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Can't you get the Bosch blades that are supposed to be superior to any other blade? I might have to hit up my local Volvo dealer. Along the same lines, isn't there supposed to be some sort of a anti lift device that attaches to the top of the blade that snaps on and off?

·
Premium Member
16,072 Posts
I've always had success with just buying Bosch or Trico, whatever, inserts and putting them in the holders myself, quite easy. I usually change them once or twice a year, in the spring, and in the fall. You don't have to keep buying the entire holder with blade.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I use silicone inserts.
They're blue to match the paint.

And the last set I had was on there for 2 years, then was only replaced because the dry weather & lack of use deformed the end of one of them slightly so it chattered.

·
Premium Member
9,803 Posts
I've always had success with just buying Bosch or Trico, whatever, inserts and putting them in the holders myself, quite easy. I usually change them once or twice a year, in the spring, and in the fall. You don't have to keep buying the entire holder with blade.
I also use the factory Blade set with wind deflector on drivers side blade. No need to keep buying the whole entire unit, that is for sure.

Maybe you need this item for your blades:
Wiper Blade Sharpener - $24.99 : KaleCoAuto, Hard to find automotive items!
;)

I tend to replace with bosch blades but do want to try the silicone, have heard they last longer. Mine go bad fast when they sit over the summer rotting in the heat.

Jason

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can't you get the Bosch blades that are supposed to be superior to any other blade?
Those stupid things are $40.00 a set some places. I'm assuming your talking about the wing looking Bosch blades. I tried a set of those and they were horrible. I think they call them the ICON blade.

·
Premium Member
9,803 Posts
Those stupid things are $40.00 a set some places. I'm assuming your talking about the wing looking Bosch blades. I tried a set of those and they were horrible. I think they call them the ICON blade.
Bosch are not very good. I have tried the ICOn or aero wipers and they are OK but I hate the looks. I would try the VALEO ones over the bosch.
I used the factory arm with the wing and replace with whatever I can get my hands on. I am not sure what is the best as I don't see much rain this way but have to replace blades oten due to sitting, rotting in the sun/heat.
I would like to try the silicone made by PIAA. (not a fan of their products but worth a try I guess?)

Anywho.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A set of PIAA's at tire rack will run around $45.00 + shipping for a pair. I'll stick with $25.00 a set for Volvo.

Paul

·
Premium Member
9,803 Posts
A set of PIAA's at tire rack will run around $45.00 + shipping for a pair. I'll stick with $25.00 a set for Volvo.

Paul
I am referring to the blade refills to use with the OEM arms, they run about $12 each.

Jason

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
I bought a set of replacement blades at Napa, I took a sample in and they matched it. The blade just slides in and your in business. It was inexpensive-under $15 for the pair. Anyone have a spare set of snap in anti-lift inserts they do not need anymore? I could use a set over here.

·
Premium Member
9,803 Posts
One other note. Make sure your arms are properly aligned! You have to make sure the arm is aligned so that that blade can make full contact and make that full contact on the edge. If they are off they will streak!
You can bend the arms fairly easy and get them set up correctly! I noticed mine where off a while ago and I no longer had chatter nor streaking. Now if I get streaking it is from bad blades. Dry wiping is really bad on them too so keep those tanks full of water, I use a mixture of vinegar and distilled water, cleans better and does not kill the rubber as much as the blue chemical stuff.
Jason

1 - 13 of 13 Posts