Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FYI: This 102 Radio delete plate just sold on eBay for US $306.55 (item #300286121387). It's probably the best I've ever seen and I think it's worth posting the pictures here for reference. The seller described the item as follows:
HOW DO YOU SAY "HOLY COW" IN ITALIAN?!?!?!?! This is possibly the rarest part that I've ever come across. I've seen only 2 of these in 35 years of dealing with Alfas. This is the radio blanking plate from old 2000 and 2600 Spiders. It was made to commerate winning the Formula 1 World Championship in 1950 and 1951 with the Type 159 Alfettas. A friend of ours discovered this rare item when it was still available from Alfa. He ordered 2 of them and gave me one as a cool keepsake. I've had it for 25 years and now it's time for someone else to keep it safe for another 25 years. Maybe you even have a perfect 2000/2600 Spider to put it on!! It is New and 98% perfect. It has been in a drawer for as long as I've owned it. It is very slightly warped in the center from sitting for so long. It could use a tiny bit of very careful cleaning. See the photos for details and thanks for looking!!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
I'm sure the buyer is also very happy... That is not just a very cool piece, but also one that can be used on a concours car, without penalty...

Best regards,

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
There is this other type of radio delete plate, both for the 2600 (like te one shown here, excuse the poor picture) and for the 2000.

Were these for European cars and the red ones like the one on eBay for US cars? Or is there another reason why there were 2 kinds of plates?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
10,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is this other type of radio delete plate, both for the 2600 (like te one shown here, excuse the poor picture) and for the 2000.

Were these for European cars and the red ones like the one on eBay for US cars? Or is there another reason why there were 2 kinds of plates?

Thanks
Here's a picture of a 2000 delete plate from period sales literature. I'm starting to wonder if the World Championship commemorative plate stems from 1900 cars (which would make sense timing wise) but I have no 1900 period pictures to confirm this.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
One thing that is also odd, is that if you look closely, the ebay plate has 2 screws on either side to attach to the dashboard, and the black / gold plates come only with two studs at the back.

After I found a correct black/gold plate for my 2600, I started to measure from photos where the plate should go, and after I decided on a spot, I took the drill out to make the holes. In order not to damage the dash cover, I first took a nail to make a mark on the dash as a guide. As I pressed the nail on the dash, it broke the vinyl and went straight trough to the other side.:eek:

Incredibly enough I hit on the exact spot where the dash had a pre-drilled hole for the plate, it was just a matter of looking under the dash to find the other hole and the plate was in perfect place in less than a minute.:D

This tells me that the red plate would not fit in my dash, especially with the additional stud that holds the Alfa emblem to the plate, so maybe you are right and these are not for 2000 or 2600 cars.

Unless the 2 screws are exacly at the same spot as the studs on the other plate, and the emblem sits on top of the hole for the radio..............

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
After my previous post I decided to take a look at the parts manual. As you can see the plate shown is the black/gold (actually you can't see it since the resolution is too low, but trust me, and if you dont' look in your own part manual), but in the number reference (2), it shows 2 part numbers, it says:

ORNAMENT, radio set compartment:
102.07.63.100.00 - U.S.A.
106.00.63.100.00 - Europe

The 102 parts manual has the same part number for US cars and 102.00.63.100.00 for European cars (note that the only change is 106 vs 102)

Now if the red plate were part # 102.07.63.100.00...........That would settle it.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting. The 102 parts manual also shows different plates for USA and Europe.

Attachments

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
FYI: This 102 Radio delete plate just sold on eBay for US $306.55 (item #300286121387). It's probably the best I've ever seen and I think it's worth posting the pictures here for reference. The seller described the item as follows:

If I remeber correctly, the screws aren't supposed to penatrate the front of the plate.

·
Registered
10,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If I remeber correctly, the screws aren't supposed to penatrate the front of the plate.
I'm sure the World Championship plate had countersunk through-holes. I believe the 2600 plate (and probably also the 2000 plate) had studs only (but often were glued on when the studs broke off, which in most cases resulted in dissolving the paint or etching the surface of the back of the plate).

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
another one

Just like buses in London - none for a long time then two turn up at once!

Ebay item 120364804321

Text from ebay listing

When's the last time you saw one of these!!!!?????? I know, last week...

Mucca Santa!!!!!!! I too have seen only 2 of these in 35 years of dealing with Alfas, mine and that other guy's. This is the radio blanking plate from old 2000 and 2600 Spiders. It was made to commemorate winning the Formula 1 World Championship in 1950 and 1951 with the Type 159 Alfettas. I removed this donkey ears ago and rescued it from a salvage yard. As you can see, it is in need of restoration. Now I could do that, or you can. Why deprive you of all the fun I say. Most of the original paint is gone from the back side, but enough remains to confirm that "The car with the oldest and greatest racing experience WORLD CHAMPION 1950-1951" should contain reflective silver paint with a maroon background. The Alfa Romeo lettering should be done in maroon with a silver background. The face should be wet sanded to remove some scratches and imperfections, then buffed. There is a scratch around the mounting screw hole on the left side, and an abrasion about the size of a thumb print above the right side screw hole, see detail photograph. The emblem has a small chip in the blue enamel, visible in the detail photo. This is a road tested USED part, bid accordingly. This one is dead flat, with no warp age. It needs to be restored with wet sanding, buffing and paint.

It is 7.5"X 2.25" I do not have the 2 mounting screws any longer.

Or maybe you want to make a mold off of this one and start manufacturing reproductions....

International bids OK

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
So very many removed for radios!

I've had both, let the black one go with another car I sold, but still have the beautiful shrine in my 10204*00126, using a radio hung below the dash in a corvair radio pod. Fits perfectly. These are very nice, and I always run the bids up trying to get them. The price got a bit steep.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Just like buses in London - none for a long time then two turn up at once!

Ebay item 120364804321

Text from ebay listing

When's the last time you saw one of these!!!!?????? I know, last week...

Mucca Santa!!!!!!! I too have seen only 2 of these in 35 years of dealing with Alfas, mine and that other guy's. This is the radio blanking plate from old 2000 and 2600 Spiders. It was made to commemorate winning the Formula 1 World Championship in 1950 and 1951 with the Type 159 Alfettas. I removed this donkey ears ago and rescued it from a salvage yard. As you can see, it is in need of restoration. Now I could do that, or you can. Why deprive you of all the fun I say. Most of the original paint is gone from the back side, but enough remains to confirm that "The car with the oldest and greatest racing experience WORLD CHAMPION 1950-1951" should contain reflective silver paint with a maroon background. The Alfa Romeo lettering should be done in maroon with a silver background. The face should be wet sanded to remove some scratches and imperfections, then buffed. There is a scratch around the mounting screw hole on the left side, and an abrasion about the size of a thumb print above the right side screw hole, see detail photograph. The emblem has a small chip in the blue enamel, visible in the detail photo. This is a road tested USED part, bid accordingly. This one is dead flat, with no warp age. It needs to be restored with wet sanding, buffing and paint.

It is 7.5"X 2.25" I do not have the 2 mounting screws any longer.

Or maybe you want to make a mold off of this one and start manufacturing reproductions....

International bids OK
Do you remember how much this one sold for? There was one that sold on ebay germany for 45 euros in April.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have one of these plates that came attached to the passenger side door sill of my 1956 Giulietta Spider. It is in nice shape except the Alfa emblem is missing. Does anyone have an idea of what the emblem might have been off of and how I can get a replacement? FYI, I was told these plates were made by Hoffman, the US importer, and that is why they don't show up in the Alfa parts books. It makes sense, as if it were made by Alfa, you would think the text would be in Italian, not English.

Rob

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
That emblem is specific to that radio delete. They show up from time to time on ebay, usually for less than $50 because no one knows what they go to. They're about 25mm if I recall. Someone here might have one for you.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
give me a correct plate, I will make perfect repro, and not for this amount. But what about the market ? :)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Thanks for the info, 6alfas. I did not see any on ebay, but I will keep looking. I am not sure where I am going to put it, but it seems like it would be worth getting the right emblem for it.

Pescara, I agree with 6alfas that the market would be pretty small. There would also be the problem of producing/procuring the proper Alfa emblems to go on each plate.

Rob

1 - 20 of 22 Posts