Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, my name is Emile, I am joining this forum because I have quite an interest in Alfa Romeos, especially models ranging in the years from the early 1960s to early 1970s. I would quite like to own an Alfa in this time period at some point in my life, (I have my eye on a Giulia Sprint GTA :D). However, right now I don't have the money to buy one.

I'm 21, in college going after a ME degree and right now I'm in the process of restoring a 1967 Mustang Coupe. I also own a 1989 Merkur XR4Ti which I recently blew a headgasket in so I'm in the middle of tearing down the engine :eek:.

As I said, I'd really like to own a classic Alfa, but I don't know terribly much about them aside from what I like, and I'm hoping I can learn alot from all of you here, like part availability, restoration expense, etc (I imagine parts are hard to find and restoration is expensive).

Thanks!
Emile

·
Registered
898 Posts
Welcome Emile!

I think you will be surprised at how cheap you can get in to classic Alfa ownership if you are patient and willing to do some work yourself, which it sounds like you are. I think you would also be surprised at how simple and reliable old Alfas are, I drove several as commuters over the 5 years it took me to get my ME degree.

·
Registered
7,009 Posts
Welcome Emile!

I think you will be surprised at how cheap you can get in to classic Alfa ownership if you are patient and willing to do some work yourself, which it sounds like you are. I think you would also be surprised at how simple and reliable old Alfas are, I drove several as commuters over the 5 years it took me to get my ME degree.
welcome -

this is a great site for any new or veteran alfa owner.

you can learn a lot from everyone here.

ebay and this board is a great source to find parts.

i have always liked the merkur xr4ti.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome, that is all good to know. The cars have always fascinated me and I'd be willing to get my hands dirty to have one. Anyone have an idea on particularly how rare 60s alfas are? Being in Texas, it usually pretty hard to find classic european cars.

lgbalfa: I like it alot too, I'm hoping to get it back on the road in not too terribly long. The car has quite an underground following.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Welcome to the BB, Emile!

Besides joining the BB, the best advice I can give is to look at the various models in person, speak with their owners, and perhaps even drive some. There is an Alfa Romeo Owners Club (AROC) in your area. (The chapter president lives in Arlington!) The AROC is the traditional club (predates the on-line era), and the members have some great cars and are a very welcoming group. The web site is Alfa Romeo Owners Club USA | Home. You'll find the contact info the Community/Chapter section.

Best regards,

·
Registered
351 Posts
Emile,
If you can handle owning and finding parts for an xr4ti then Alfa ownership should be a piece of torta. I love the look of that car but never had the guts to get one. You will be an asset to this board. Welcome!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies, its nice to know it will actually be easier to find parts for alfas then my xr :D

Also, I am going to Italy in December/January and my reserved rental car is Alfa romeo 147!! Anyone driven these cars?

·
Registered
7,009 Posts
Thanks for the replies, its nice to know it will actually be easier to find parts for alfas then my xr :D

Also, I am going to Italy in December/January and my reserved rental car is Alfa romeo 147!! Anyone driven these cars?
drive a new spider!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is this Merkur just like a Sierra?
Yea it's the essentially the same thing, pretty much all the body parts are interchangeable. Alot of people make Cossie conversions actually, but the genuine parts are really expensive and have to be shipped overseas.

...hey!.. a girl that can work on a car.. are you married??:):)
Hate to disappoint, but I'm a dude. Emily is spelled with a 'y' but its a pretty common mistake. Alot of people mistake it for Emily, but I don't think anyone has gone to the point of a "semi proposal". :D

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
lol, that's funny! If I'm not mistaken Emile is pronounced Emeel... Not Emily! :) bianchi1 just for the record I am Glenn, not Glyn or Glenda... :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts