Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone,

Maybe I am an idiot. I have a 1974 GTV 2000. When I look at my fuse box I only see 10 fuses. Not 12 as in the wiring diagram I got.

What am I missing?

I am wondering if I have a frankenstein fuse box in my GTV.

Also should all the fuses be 8 amp except number 1 which should be 16 amp?

Thanks

Tony

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Michael,

Thanks. It looks like the PO had all sorts of different fuses in the box. I will look for the box to the left of the main one.

I am having trouble with the left turn signal and the side marker lamp. They will not work. All the others do. I replaced the bulbs. 1157 in the turn and I think 194 in the side marker. I had to put a new base in. I tested the connection and not getting any power. I traced back the yellow wire and cleaned the connection under the hood where it looks like it junctions.

I don't know what else to try. I bought a new flash to see if that was the problem but no go when I hooked it up. So now I am stumped.

Thoughts?

I will replace the fuses. It looks like some are 25 amp because they are a blue color. Don't know if that would cause the problem or not.

thanks

Tony
1974 GTV

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
Unless it's been moved or removed, you shouldn't have to look for the aux. fuse box. It should be right there.

For starters, pull all your fuses, clean the fuse holders, squeeze them together (in order to hold the fuses tighter), & install all new fuses; or at least replace those showing any signs of corrosion on the ends.

Regarding the LF marker light & turn signal, they use different voltage sources & ground in different spots. The only thing they have in common is a three-terminal harness connector accessed by removing the inner fender cover.

In case you haven't found it yet, here's a copy of papajam's excellent wiring diagram for these cars: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/101261-post4.html

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Michael,

Thanks. I am not the sharpest guy but..... I tested with a tester the bulb socket and got nothing. So I pulled the rubber gromet out from the lower front area just below the bumper. Got the connecter out and unsnapped it and used contact cleaner. No voltage showing at the connector either. Is there a connector behind this panel?

You mention that it is accessible by removing the inner fender cover. May i ask where that is? Do I remove the front wheel and there is a panel there? or is inside the engine bay area?

I did replace all the fuses with the correct amp rated fuses. I also used contact cleaner on them as well. I did find the auxiliary fuse box. The PO had all sorts of different fuses in there. They are now all fresh and new and the correct amp rating for the sockets. Didn't fix the side marker and the front turn indicator issue though.

I do get voltage at the engine bay light of about 11.67. So I am wondering if there is a short somewhere between there and the fuse box that feeds the side marker and the turn signal?

Thanks

Tony

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
You got to the same connector I was talking about; just in a different way. The engine bay lamp is wired into the same circuit as the left front marker lamp. Near the left side hinge for the hood is the wire harness connector for the engine bay lamp. If no problem is found there, then you have a break in the yellow wire somewhere between there & the harness connector you checked earlier. BTW, your left front parking lamp doesn't work, does it?

This being the case, the problem with the LF turn signal is a seperate problem. However, if you're lucky, when you find the break in the yellow wire for the marker lamp, you might also find a break in the blue/black wire for the LF turn signal nearby.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Michael,

Correct. The front left parking lamp and the turn signal don't work as well as the left front side marker lamp.

I do get voltage from that connector at the engine bay light.

So it sounds like I have a problem in the wire somewhere. I am going to run one last test with a ground wire from the battery to the turn/parking housing and see if it is a ground connection problem.

I saw what looked like 4 wires near the left headlight that were attached to the body via a screw. I removed the grill section between the 2 head lights and then loosened and re tightened the screws. I assumed it is some type of ground. But is that the ground for the head lights? I am looking at the diagram and cannot tell. It was 4 wires held by 1 screw.

So a question. Do I pull out the rubber grommet again and then disconnect the front parking/turn signal then go into the engine bay and pull up the wiring? To get access to those wires.

It looks like the run down along the left side of the radiator. I didn't know if there are more attachment points to be worried if I pull on the wire. Also how the heck do you feed it back down that way?

There was also a ground connection by the left hand hinge for the hood. I cleaned and redid that one. Does that ground the parking/turn signals?

Thanks

Tony

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Michael,

Well i found my problem. It seems as thought the wiring loom that runs along the left side of the engine bay has a cut yellow line. Right behind the fog light. It seems as though the loom was rubbing against the sharp edge of the horn and cut right through the pvc tap and cut the line. I did a repair through the fog lens and it worked. But now found a new issue. LOL

The right turn/signal lamp had a line that rusted away from it. So I have to buy a new 1157 bulb holder and install it.

LOL. I also check the flasher unit and converted to a 3 prong. It works on the left hand side. Once I get the right side fixed I will check to make sure.

I will let you know.

Is there a way to get a new connector for the pig tail? Rather then patch it I would like to install a new bucket in the lens and use the snap connector. Is there a way to pull out those spades and attach new one's to the new pig tail? Just curious

Thanks

Tony

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am being told that Alfa Romeo had advanced and very reliable wiring in its cars. I purchased a modern 12 Blade Fuse Box with the intention of replacing me 10 + 2 Fuse Torpedo style fuse boxes with this. What are your thoughts? Is there a way to make my existing box more reliable?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts