Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what bulb goes in the fuse panel? Also can anyone explain how it is supposed to work?

I don't think that metal tab should be folded over like that.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
The metal tab is OK. It makes contact with the center of the bulb. The bulb is a 12v 4w elongated bulb. There is a cover that goes on top of the fuses and when removed the bulb comes on. If you do not have the cover the bulb stays on all the time and it gets hot.

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
With your information I was able to figure out the proper bulb to get. The proper bulb is Sylvania 3893 LL. They did not have that one at the auto parts store so I went with Sylvania 1891 LL. It has .6 less wattage but that wont make a difference.

I now see how it works with the cover. The cover itself moves the ground back to take away the contact with the bulb. When the cover is removed it springs back to touch the bulb and complete the circuit.

Thank you very much!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know! I am a month into alfa ownership... most of the stuff I look at and wonder what the heck they were thinking but at the same time it was creative!

Thanks to this forum I have avoided some of the pains that others have gone through.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
BTW--- did I spot some aluminum fuses in there?? Get them out and use only good quality brass or copper link fuses. And make sure the contact fingers are clean, also!

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
one has to think why so many fuse boxes do not have that plastic cover or light anymore.

I can easy imagine battery drain if a tab on that clear plastic cover ever loosened and it opened slightly....?

·
Registered
285 Posts
BTW--- did I spot some aluminum fuses in there?? Get them out and use only good quality brass or copper link fuses. And make sure the contact fingers are clean, also!
Where do you find the copper/brass alloy fuses? I've only found aluminum.

Thanks,

David

·
Registered
285 Posts

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
The problem with the aluminum fuses is that the metal expands and contracts quite a lot compared to other metals. Think about it... the fuse clips are brass, right? So the aluminum link moves and squirms down there as the circuit heats and cools, changing the resistance of the connection constantly. True, the plastic or ceramic body of the fuse doesn't do that, but what matters is the point of contact, where the aluminum meets the brass. And, being completely dissimilar to brass or copper (which are kindred materials), the aluminum begins to corrode at the point of contact further raising the resistance.

Ask any seasoned electrical engineer who was working during the 1970s about the big controversy over aluminum conductors used in conjunction with steel or brass lugs in industrial power panels and buss bar systems. They can tell you horror stories about catastrophic power failures!

I've often wondered, if all Alfa owners of cars of this era changed their fuses over to brass or copper overnight, and cleaned the fuse tabs on the fuse block, and made sure they had good tension against the ends of the fuses, I'm convinced that reported electrical glitches on this forum would drop by half! Well, maybe.... :wink2:

·
Premium Member
3,883 Posts
Wow great info! I have been trying to figure this one out for a while now.
Has anyone seen one for sale anywhere?
The bulb in the fuse box was done away with during the 1986 model year run. If the metal tabs are missing then you have the later fusebox.

And yes the covers were prone to warping and becoming loose and letting the light come on both draining the battery and melting the cover.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The bulb in the fuse box was done away with during the 1986 model year run. If the metal tabs are missing then you have the later fusebox.

And yes the covers were prone to warping and becoming loose and letting the light come on both draining the battery and melting the cover.
Well that makes sense why I don't have one then!
Thanks for the info

1 - 17 of 17 Posts