Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very satisfying to put this car back together but missing the hinge pin that the fuse box cover pivots on and of course, the knob that locks the fuse box cover in place. Anyone have a pic of these and/or have these laying around from a parts car? Happy to purchase! My car is a '83 S3 Spider -Thanks!

·
Registered
594 Posts
I would call Larry at Alfa Parts Exchange in Berkeley, he has all kinds of stuff. It is plastic maybe someone has the dims and they could print a set.

·
Registered
7,547 Posts
Would theS4 (1994) be the same? Mine just hangs there swinging with nothing to attach to.
the US version S4 is very different to the EU version S4, that's for sure, because you have those big ol' knee bolsters.
On EU cars you drop down the lh section of the knee bolster (hinged) to access the box. It is not otherwise visible and your feet cannot contact it.
Looking at this diagram for the US cars there is a handle (#1 in diagram) and the whole thing looks quite exposed to taking a hit from your feet (?)

fuses.jpg

fuse euro.jpg

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would call Larry at Alfa Parts Exchange in Berkeley, he has all kinds of stuff. It is plastic maybe someone has the dims and they could print a set.
Yep, did so yesterday, hopefully he can find the knob for me - he laughed and said most folks just use a zip tie for missing hinge pin

·
Registered
594 Posts
This may be worth resourcing the parts and sending them to one of the 3D printing officianados so they can scan them into their files for future need....

·
Registered
197 Posts
Thanks Philip! - Is the pin just a simple rod of steel?
I havent removed mine in a while, but I had to make a bracket for it to fit over the hinge pin ages ago. If you get stuck getting parts, send me some pics of the issues you have. I can always take mine apart and let you know whats involved.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Would theS4 (1994) be the same? Mine just hangs there swinging with nothing to attach to.
Thats right, there is a hinge arrangement each end. One of mine was broken when I got the car, so made something from sheet metal. The screw is a different matter, its a knurled end with a small thread at the other end. It would need to be machined out of a bar of aluminum. I can replicate it if anyone needs one.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Thats right, there is a hinge arrangement each end. One of mine was broken when I got the car, so made something from sheet metal. The screw is a different matter, its a knurled end with a small thread at the other end. It would need to be machined out of a bar of aluminum. I can replicate it if anyone needs one.

i have the original bar if your interested please email me direct for pictures and price
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
4,022 Posts
the US version S4 is very different to the EU version S4, that's for sure, because you have those big ol' knee bolsters.
On EU cars you drop down the lh section of the knee bolster (hinged) to access the box. It is not otherwise visible and your feet cannot contact it.
Looking at this diagram for the US cars there is a handle (#1 in diagram) and the whole thing looks quite exposed to taking a hit from your feet (?)

View attachment 1606054

View attachment 1606053
The 83 had a big curved black plastic cover that went over the whole fuse box and had a metal knob that screwed into the body.

In 1986 spiders were the same as the euro spiders. In 1987 the US spiders went to a one piece knee bolster that looks like the the 86. The the really big knee bolster in 1991.

·
Registered
732 Posts
The 83 had a big curved black plastic cover that went over the whole fuse box and had a metal knob that screwed into the body.
In 1986 spiders were the same as the euro spiders. In 1987 the US spiders went to a one piece knee bolster that looks like the the 86. The the really big knee bolster in 1991.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Very satisfying to put this car back together but missing the hinge pin that the fuse box cover pivots on and of course, the knob that locks the fuse box cover in place. Anyone have a pic of these and/or have these laying around from a parts car? Happy to purchase! My car is a '83 S3 Spider -Thanks!

·
Registered
732 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,022 Posts
Heres what he is looking for.

Attachments

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Heres what he is looking for.
Thanks Jim G, same as mine - I would imagine a long clevis pin would work for the hinge and as far as the knob goes . . well, might have to retap a small hardware store knob to thread size and pitch.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts