Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 60 (registered as 61) 101 spider. My fuse box has an attachment that looks like you could insert something like a blub or adapter. Does anyone know what it was for?

·
Registered
83 Posts
The wiring diagram calls out the socket for some kind of a lamp. I've never seen one, jmaclax. The rest of the car uses 9 and 15mm bayonet bulbs and these do not fit the socket. I ended up pulling the hot wire from the #3 fuse to the socket and installing a lighter socket, which seemed more useful to me.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
I used a 12 volt bayonet light bulb to test this socket. The light works, but I have always carried a small flashlight in the car. I have a Sprint Veloce with a small engine compartment light, but it has very little output.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
fusebox socket

So the consensus is that it is for some sort of light bulb. Does the light come on only when the headlights are turned on? Is the light on any time the key is on? Seems a bit strange to me.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The socket is connected to the hot side of fuse 3. It is always hot. You install a suitable bulb manually to light it or make a lamp with a switch. Kuni, do you recall what kind of bulb you used? The socket on my '60 is too large for BA9s and too small for BA15s bulbs.

·
Registered
7,763 Posts
So the consensus is that it is for some sort of light bulb. Does the light come on only when the headlights are turned on? Is the light on any time the key is on? Seems a bit strange to me.
As usual, I will go against the concensus....the socket is indeed for a "trouble light" but not for just a bulb. Some Lancias (Fulvia for sure) had this device and I would guess other Italian marques might have had it. There was some sort of common aftermarket light on a wire with a special bayonet connector on the business end that plugged into the socket. I have seen one in a picture somewhere but don't recall where. It was not supplied with the tool kit or other accessories. I think the concept lost favor with the introduction of AA and AAA batteries and the resulting LED flash light ( Torch for the UK) that was small enough to fit on a key chain or your glove box... Imagine broken down in the pitch dark and rummaging around for the light and then poking it under the dash by braille to find the socket......Good idea... lacking common sense. Oh, and there wasn't enough wire to reach the problem you wanted to see., probably under the hood. It would be only enough to find your flashlight. .....or a candle. U.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
fusebox socket

I agree the benefit does not seem to justify the effort. Someone noted it might be best used to change a fuse in the dark. Aside from that, I see little benefit as to it's location. Odd that it was sold without the presumed device it was meant to utilize.

Regards,
Jim

·
Registered
7,763 Posts
I agree the benefit does not seem to justify the effort. Someone noted it might be best used to change a fuse in the dark. Aside from that, I see little benefit as to it's location. Odd that it was sold without the presumed device it was meant to utilize.

Regards,
Jim
I'm not suggestion anyone on this thread is motivated by it but it seems whenever I have judged a car for show, the owner starts throwing stuff like this in the display to garner "gee whiz" bonus points or trump deficiencies when in fact he should have spent more time on what was lacking in the car in the first place. After an owners/operations manual and a tool kit, the rest of the stuff is just a distraction from the business of getting the car correct. Uncle

1 - 11 of 11 Posts