Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So now that "Isabella" is running I have been working on the little things like replacing the blower motor etc. One thing I addressed the other day was a tapping noise that sounded like a valve tap. I did not hear it at idle or if I revved the car in the driveway. Only during accelleration between1500 and 3500 rpm.

My mechanic friend thought it might be a rod knocking:mad:. I was hoping for an valve to adjust:eek:. It was neither. I found that one of the studs holding the exhaust pipe to the manifold was broken off and another was loose. The exhaust was being held on by 2 fasteners and only on one side. Naturally the ones easier to put back on were the ones still attached. Speaks poorly of prior work (By me)....but I digress.

Once the manifold was removed, the brokes stud was replaced and the whole thing re assembled, no tapping noise. The only think I can think id the exhauset gasget flapping during acceleration.:D

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't blame the mechanic, he based his decision on my explaination of the sound. He did not hear it himself. You would think I would remember the sound of a rod knoch. I had a car throw a rod on me once....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts