Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to you guys, I've found what looks to be a very nice 67 Fulvia Rallye 1300 S.

What should I be looking for? The car's supposed to be a very nice driver, and has the (as the seller claims) rare Campys.

Any and all help would be appreciated!

Thanks.

·
Registered
830 Posts
first

Thanks to you guys, I've found what looks to be a very nice 67 Fulvia Rallye 1300 S.

What should I be looking for? The car's supposed to be a very nice driver, and has the (as the seller claims) rare Campys.

Any and all help would be appreciated!

Thanks.
first the vin # and trans # also price? in U.S.A.? post pictures if you can. also condition inside and body over all & most important brakes work all around?

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
...I've found what looks to be a very nice 67 Fulvia Rallye 1300 S. What should I be looking for? The car's supposed to be a very nice driver, and has the (as the seller claims) rare Campys.
Adan's got it exactly right. Chassis number? Engine type number (first 6 digits)? What work has been done, and who did it? What's not working?Where's it located? And pictures--lots and lots of pictures, inside and out.

If the Campys are 'ragno' type (aka Dino type), these look great on Fulvias, and were original equipment on some early 1,6 HFs.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Note the differences in the front end, compared to Adan's Montecarlo. Is that the difference between the Series I and II? I noticed the lettering on the taillight panel looks different, as well. What else is different between the series/models? I think I like the clean look of no bumpers.

Attachments

·
Registered
830 Posts
looks nice

Note the differences in the front end, compared to Adan's Montecarlo. Is that the difference between the Series I and II? I noticed the lettering on the taillight panel looks different, as well. What else is different between the series/models? I think I like the clean look of no bumpers.
it looks good if it drives as good it looks you are ok. with price. is hard to find good cars this days good price. I rather pay up front for a good car then little by little and never end the restoration. hope you get it. adan

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Kraig

You're looking at the S1 grille opening, hood 'spear', and rear badging, all of which were different on the S2s, like Adan's Montecarlo. The dash is also different in the secondary switches and heater controls; this one's clearly an S1. The steering wheel and shift knob are both aftermarket items, but it has the correct rubber mats instead of aftermarket carpet. The Campys are indeed 'ragnos' which look every bit as good on the Fulvia coupe as they do on a Dino 246. The bumperless look and the hood straps are a matter of personal taste; for me, bumperless: OK; hood straps: not so much (ditto the 'HF' stickers on a non-HF, but that's easy for me to say...)

If the grille badge is correct, this is an S1 1.3S, which means the chassis should be 818.360.****** (on the VIN plate, which you can just see next to the right side strut tower) and the engine should be 818.303.**** (on the side of the block).

Looking at the engine, the S1 valve covers were black crackle (except the HFs), which means that the valve cover has been replaced by an S2 valve cover. (It's unlikely that this is a transplanted S2 engine, since the interior shows a 4-speed gearbox, while all S2s had 5-speeds.) There a couple other detailing issues in the engine bay, but it looks pretty clean.

In fact the whole thing looks pretty clean. If there's no rust issue and it runs and drives well, this one looks really worthwhile. The price is at least close; the current issue of Cars That Matter has guide prices for #2 at $14,400 and #3 at $11,300. If it runs and drives well, this is probably fairly a #3. But just as important as the guide price, it's simply getting harder and harder to find decent S1 coupes in the US.

BTW, it's not a '67; it's probably actually a '69 and was not originally sold in the US. Because Lancia's VIN plates don't state date of manufacture, post-'67 cars could be 'back dated' to '67 when they were imported. US safety regs changed as of Jan '68, and non-US-spec cars manufactured after that date couldn't be imported, unless they mysteriously became pre-'68s (funny, but there are a lot of '67 Lancias in the US, and very, very few '68s). Doesn't make any difference at this point, and doesn't affect the value at all.

Anyway, assuming it's as good mechanically as it looks, it's about the nicest S1 I've seen for sale in the US in a long time. I'm completely with Adan on this one--I hope you get it. Good luck.

(PS, does it come with that ultra-cheesy '70s fake woodgrain radar detector?)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kraig

You're looking at the S1 grille opening, hood 'spear', and rear badging, all of which were different on the S2s, like Adan's Montecarlo. The dash is also different in the secondary switches and heater controls; this one's clearly an S1. The steering wheel and shift knob are both aftermarket items, but it has the correct rubber mats instead of aftermarket carpet. The Campys are indeed 'ragnos' which look every bit as good on the Fulvia coupe as they do on a Dino 246. The bumperless look and the hood straps are a matter of personal taste; for me, bumperless: OK; hood straps: not so much (ditto the 'HF' stickers on a non-HF, but that's easy for me to say...)

If the grille badge is correct, this is an S1 1.3S, which means the chassis should be 818.360.****** (on the VIN plate, which you can just see next to the right side strut tower) and the engine should be 818.303.**** (on the side of the block).

Looking at the engine, the S1 valve covers were black crackle (except the HFs), which means that the valve cover has been replaced by an S2 valve cover. (It's unlikely that this is a transplanted S2 engine, since the interior shows a 4-speed gearbox, while all S2s had 5-speeds.) There a couple other detailing issues in the engine bay, but it looks pretty clean.

In fact the whole thing looks pretty clean. If there's no rust issue and it runs and drives well, this one looks really worthwhile. The price is at least close; the current issue of Cars That Matter has guide prices for #2 at $14,400 and #3 at $11,300. If it runs and drives well, this is probably fairly a #3. But just as important as the guide price, it's simply getting harder and harder to find decent S1 coupes in the US.

BTW, it's not a '67; it's probably actually a '69 and was not originally sold in the US. Because Lancia's VIN plates don't state date of manufacture, post-'67 cars could be 'back dated' to '67 when they were imported. US safety regs changed as of Jan '68, and non-US-spec cars manufactured after that date couldn't be imported, unless they mysteriously became pre-'68s (funny, but there are a lot of '67 Lancias in the US, and very, very few '68s). Doesn't make any difference at this point, and doesn't affect the value at all.

Anyway, assuming it's as good mechanically as it looks, it's about the nicest S1 I've seen for sale in the US in a long time. I'm completely with Adan on this one--I hope you get it. Good luck.

(PS, does it come with that ultra-cheesy '70s fake woodgrain radar detector?)
Thanks for the info, Ed. I know for me, the Fuzzbuster is the main selliing point, and I'm in negotiation to get that included in the sale :)

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Thanks for the info, Ed. I know for me, the Fuzzbuster is the main selliing point, and I'm in negotiation to get that included in the sale :)
Hey, it's not just a Fuzzbuster; it's a SUPER Buster--the perfect disco accessory. It's got a that classic, Radio Shack closeout-bin, no-two-switches-or-knobs-match look.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ordered the Brooklands book on the Fulvia series, as well as the one written by a Dutch guy (I forget his name or the title).

Until that arrives, what exactly are the differences between the models, i.e, the Montecarlo, the Rally, the HF, etc. Is there a "standard" model?

Short version is OK :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Another pic, this one looks to have the original steering wheel, which I hope the seller still has, as I enjoy a certain amount of originality.
(Note: The Super Buster is still there!)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Kraig
Looking at the engine, the S1 valve covers were black crackle (except the HFs), which means that the valve cover has been replaced by an S2 valve cover. (It's unlikely that this is a transplanted S2 engine, since the interior shows a 4-speed gearbox, while all S2s had 5-speeds.)
This afternoon I spoke to a previous S1 owner, who said that the crackle finish on the valve covers was just crackle paint--not a textured finish on the valve cover itself. This means that it's almost certainly the original valve cover, just with its paint stripped off.

It wasn't anything to worry about before, but now it's a total non-issue.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I talked to the owner this afternoon, and he had no clue as to what I was talking about, but accepted my word about the finish. Oops! :)

Got some more pics from him today, too. Even got the chassis number-does this tell you anything?

He also said this was the feature car in a magazine article back in the 80s sometime, in a rag called European Car.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
I talked to the owner this afternoon, and he had no clue as to what I was talking about, but accepted my word about the finish. Oops!
Kraig

Sorry I didn't get that correction to you sooner. By his reaction, I'd guess that the current owner acquired the car in that condition; it's certainly not the original finish, but equally not a problem.

It's shame about the door speakers, but a decent upholstery shop can easily make up new, unmolested panels if it bothers you enough. The rest of the interior looks good; the minor issues at the side of the seat (by the adjustor) is also pretty easy to remedy. The low camera angle is very useful; there doesn't seem to be a tangle of bodged or loose wires under the dash.

The chassis plate looks completely correct; the type code (818.360) is correct for a 1.3S, and the chassis number is within the range you'd expect.

It's not a concours car (neither are the 2 you saw on Sunday...), but this one's really about as clean as they get.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I bit the bullet, and bought the Fulvia. With any luck, I can get it onboard a truck in the upcoming week, and get it here within the next two.

Got my Brooklands book the other day, and have been reading up on the car. The magazines of the day really seemed to be enthralled with the car, though they all hated the heating/ventilation system.

I can hardly wait!

·
Registered
830 Posts
con grats

Well, I bit the bullet, and bought the Fulvia. With any luck, I can get it onboard a truck in the upcoming week, and get it here within the next two.

Got my Brooklands book the other day, and have been reading up on the car. The magazines of the day really seemed to be enthralled with the car, though they all hated the heating/ventilation system.

I can hardly wait!
well welcome to the lancia club. any help I can provide you let me know Adan Figueroa

·
Registered
3,964 Posts

I can hardly wait!
I'll second Adan's congratulations! And offer my help, too.

The ventilation controls are mediocre at best, but in So Cal it really doesn't matter. With the rear quarter vents open and the windows down, I've driven midday in 90+ heat without any real problem (and I'm no fan of sweating in a car). It's pretty rare that you'll need to worry about de-misting the windshield, and even rarer that you'll have to worry about heating.

I'll be very interested to see the car once it's here. Three Fulvias at VCR will make quite a sight!

1 - 20 of 98 Posts