Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for being ignorant, but I just found out that my new to me 68 Duetto has a 2L engine. I was not sure whether I could use unleaded fuel without any additives in the 1600, but the 2L may be able to run on unleaded. Looks like a '75 or up. I had a "79 in Europe before, and that one took leaded only.
Any clues what to look for?

Peter

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
You shouldn't have any problem running unleaded fuel. Even if the valves are original, they've probably well leaded from early in their life.

·
Registered
208 Posts
All 78-79 u.s. car were made and required to run unleaded. The European cars did not. The 75-76 California cars were also unleaded users. I don't know about 75-76 non-cali cars. In an engine that old run unleaded. Throughout much of the 80's I poured half a pint of additive in with each tank, what a pain and waste of money.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for all your advice, these are the answers that I was hoping for:)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Whether you "can" run unleaded fuel (or fuel without additives) depends on whether or not the exhaust valve seats are hardened. I *think* this should only be an issue on iron heads, as the valve seats are cut right into the head materials on early cars. Lead just kept the seats from wearing deeper into the heads. Alfas have aluminum heads, so if they have hardened iron valve seats installed already, you can run unleaded.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
According the British magazine - Practical Classics, all Alfa after the 2600 Sprint (1962-1966) can run on unleaded without mechanical modification.

According to the magazine, even all Guilia 1300/1600/1750 (after 1967, Duetto >66) engine can run on unleaded.

I run my GTV 2000 with Marvel Mystery Oil added to unleaded fuel.

:)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a 67 duetto with the 1600 engine in it. i have the engine fully disassembled and cleaned, the car sat for 25 years without the engine being turned, it wasn't frozen but any of the valves that were open became heavily pitted with corrosion. as for that i'm going to be putting all new valves in it along with new springs, guides and valve keepers. the head measures 111.80 mm. if I'm correct the head when new was 112.014 so in theory the head has been milled .214mm. is this a correct statement or is the 111.80 the stock thickness of the head? also by the looks of it i should be able to get by with a valve seat grind after i install new guides or do i need to get the exhaust valve seats replaced?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts