Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, to start this out i was driving on the freeway and the fuel pump cut out, and after some messing around found that it was the inertia switch had tripped.

well now the fuel pressure light takes a while to go out and once it does the car will start but any excessive use of the pedal will kill it, which seems like low fuel but the light doesn't go back on.

and to complicate things the car is a 1978 spider but seems to have a pre-1975 fuel pump with the side outlet, and a fuel tank with no boost pump and a main fuel filter with 3 openings both fuel filters have been changed recently.

would like some suggestions of what and how to test stuff to make it run again, and i don't have a pressure gauge either.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Do I understand correctly that even while the fuel low pressure warning light is extinguished, that the engine dies with any increase in throttle?

If so, carefully remove the Barometric Compensator (thing with 3 screws holding down a triangular plate on top of the injection pump) and see if the spring (compensator link retaining spring) just forward of the hole is broken. It should be attached to a screw on the top and to the compensator link at the bottom. Do not move the throttle while the Barometric Compensator is out. See picture below:

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts