Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having trouble finding a source for new felt to line the fuel tank straps. Does anyone know if there is a good substitute that's readily available? Also, I need to replace the rubber hose that connects the tank to gas cap fill location. Does anyone have a source for this item?

Any help is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
Centerline sells the fuel hose. Local hardware store should have felt weatherstrip for the gas tank straps. I have used this felt weatherstrip on many Giuliettas. Very similar in appearance to original.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Not certain about the use of felt as it will absorb moisture and hold it against the tank. I have used a wide 3mm foam strip which does the same job, is invisible and doesn't accept water.

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
The felt weatherstripping that I have used for over 30 years-without problems- is very similar to the original Alfa part.That was the initial reason to use that material. And it is readily available and cheap.

·
Registered
20 Posts
To prevent the felt weather stripping from absorbing water, one restorer has soaked it with a rust preventative similar to Waxoyl.

I'll be doing something similar to protect my tank once I fix these holes and paint it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Schaeffer.....That is precisely why I use the non-continuous cell foam stripping.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Fuel Tank Strap Gaskets

I don't think Gary is listening. Hope he checks back soon. Here's a link to pictures of both the felt and neoprene straps:

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm sorry for the slow response but I want to thank you all for such great input and help. I really appreciate this as I truly am a restoration rookie. I freely admit that I have no idea what I'm doing but with help like yours I'm confident my car will be on the road soon. I purchased straps and the fuel coupling at velocespace.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts