Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'll ask this question, even though I think I know what the answer will be. I'm in the process of replacing all soft fuel lines. Pulled the tank when I fixed the tabs on the fuel sender to derust and paint the tank's exterior. Internal sock had a slight tear, so I replaced it.

Looking inside the tank, I saw *some* rust. Not a boatload, but some--maybe a 10" line with a width of say 2 mm. So does the tank need to be cleaned/coated? The rest of what I could see looks fine--a yellow/cream color.

thanks,

Jeff
'85 graduate

·
Administrator
17,811 Posts
If you are not seeing big flakes of rust falling off but rather some discoloration then you are likely OK. Keeping the tank full when the car is parked/stored & treating the fuel (Stabil is one well known brand) will help minimize water condensing inside the tank.

But, since you have the tank out I would suggest cleaning & coating the inside and painting the outside. I used a kit from POR 15.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I forgot to mention that I put the tank back in. I know the best thing is to do the POR15 clean/seal, so I'll pull it and do that. Peace of mind, anyway.

thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I forgot to mention that I put the tank back in. I know the best thing is to do the POR15 clean/seal, so I'll pull it and do that. Peace of mind, anyway.

thanks,

Jeff
If I can make a suggestion? Pull the tank - then take it to a radiator shop or similar and let THEM do the rust removal and coating. I did this job on my Super using the Eastwood kit and there are a lot of nasty, nasty chemicals involved. I'd never DIY that job again, and I tend to DIY a lot of stuff I probably shouldn't.

-Jason

·
Registered
434 Posts
I'll second that....this is one of the few jobs I took my Spider to the local Alfa guy for. He also spotted some other issues (mostly fuel lines) and fixed those as well. Sure was worth not having to deal with the mess and chemicals etc.

Matt

1 - 5 of 5 Posts