Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having some issues with my GTV6 that I'm starting to think are related to a gunked gas tank. Rough running, fuel pressure irregularities, stalling, etc. Can anyone recommend a shop or even a person who does good but reasonably priced work? The GTV6's tank has crazy baffling so it's apparently a tricky job, which also leads me to believe it's 'spensive. Ugh. I don't need show car quality refinishing. Just functional.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I talked to my cousin who restores cars all the time and has a couple of shops. He had some advice although most of the time he's able to get a new tank for whatever vehicle he's working on so he’s not often dealing with a tank restoration. He said:

1) You can call around to radiator shops. They'll either provide a cleaning and sealing service OR will be able to tell you who does locally.

2) You can use one of the readily available sealing kits found online although he suggested a cheaper alternative was to go to Harbor Freight and get "Resolve" which is a rust remover (HF sells it by the gallon). Fill the tank half way and let it sit a few days, then flip it and let it sit for a few days. Resolve will remove all the rust and shouldn't eat any good metal. Once that's done rinse it very well with water and then slosh some alcohol in there to get it completely water free. Once dry, use a gas tank sealer. He suggested the Eastwood gas tank sealer but not their whole kit because you could do the cleaning part cheaper with Resolve.

I’m sure somebody will chime in with their suggestions but this was the best I could come up with and it’s worked for him in the past.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,033 Posts
Many years ago, mechanic Mike Keith in Houston had my 69 Spider's tank cleaned, pickled and coated. PM for phone number.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts