Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

Nowhere on the BB or within CARDISC do I find the tightening torque for the 3 bolts which secure the fuel tank to the body underside.

I am in the process of relocating a fuel tank from a donor car to a restoration car.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Ta,

Neville.

·
Premium Member
27,381 Posts
Folks,

Nowhere on the BB or within CARDISC do I find the tightening torque for the 3 bolts which secure the fuel tank to the body underside.

I am in the process of relocating a fuel tank from a donor car to a restoration car.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Ta,

Neville.
Bolt size 8mm so good torque value would be one elbow click or about 15.5 to 17.7 ft lb same as for tank mounting bolts

·
Premium Member
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Steve,

I figured I would resort to the "feels tight" method as the fuel tank bolts were not very tight during removal from both cars.

The donor tank is now installed still containing about 10 gallons gas all the way from SC when the donor car was first totalled.

I used a dolly to relocate the tank and then raised it by means of a length of wood with blocks at the front and the jack at the back - not too difficult at all.
I left all the fuel tank components intact as they worked fine before I pulled the plug on the donor car last weekend.
It had been running around my property for short spells to keep it alive.
The fuel tank installation was much easier due to the rear suspension cross member being off and out of the way.

What occupied me for most of today was relocation of the donor car brake lines and some fuel lines, as well as the Load Proportioning unit at the rear.
There was also considerable cleaning the underside and rear wheel wells of years of crud.
This used to be an Illinois car.....

The brakes were so corroded I had to cut the lines to get everything off.
I also had to drop the whole Jenny Alfa rear suspension as the bolts holding the struts to the hubs would not budge - those I will deal with later or send them to the scrapyard.

Pretty much all of the Jenny Alfa rear suspension and brakes will go to the junk yard.

Nevertheless it was a great North Florida day beneath the Oaks working between two Alfa's.

Ta,

Neville.

·
Premium Member
27,381 Posts
Those mighty oaks are great place to work under on a sunny day.

·
Premium Member
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some fuel tank replacement pictures from beneath the Live Oaks....

First the old tank removed from Jenny Alfa which had been abandoned in a trailer park alongside the Jennings State Forest.
This is what happens to a gas tank when left unused for about four years.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
27,381 Posts
I've seen that picture before under my own oak tree just from a different 164.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Tanks like that are perfect candidates for electrolytic rust removal. It's the easiest way I see of getting that crud off. What it does is converting surface rust back into iron and loosening the scale. The metal that is not rusted remains the same.

I'll give you more details if you want to recover that tank. I used it on a antique kitchen scale made of cast iron I didn't want to throw away.

·
Premium Member
27,381 Posts
My radiator shop can make a tank like that look like new inside and out and even installs drain ports, welds up any rust holes and recoats insides if needed.

We have had Milano, 164 and Maserati tanks done over by them.

·
Premium Member
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Folks,

I am open to all input if this tank can be restored below the current market cost of a functional tank from a parts car.

I will only let it go to the crusher if there is no hope......

It looks pretty far gone to me but I have seen and restored many worse cases.
It is just a matter of being cost effective.

Let me know all options.

Ta,

Neville.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hi

I have used POR15 fuel tank sealer for the fuel tank of my Alfa 33. Metal tank prone to rusting from the inside has been treated with the fuel tank sealing kit from POR15 and no problem whatsoever.

Here is a complete guide.

Alfa 33 Restoration

Point to 33 Manuals to the left and select Fuel tank restoration from the manuals list on the right

1 - 10 of 10 Posts