Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Push hard and live
9,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It’s always the last place you look.

As I’ve been bringing a 78 Alfetta GT back to full operations, I’ve had to learn some things not previously faced with other Alfas. I’ve conquered a non-exact turn signal assembly, goofy headlights, cheap-crap taillight assemblies, cheap-crap hood release cable, and the ever disappointing wiring.

For six hours yesterday I worked to get the non-op fuel level gauge working. Being an Alfa, I started with the sender. It looked new, and I got an ok resistance sweep. The low-light contact wasn’t connecting, but some contact cleaning got that to respond. Float was about 25% full of fuel, so installed one from a dead gauge removed from a Spider I just fixed.

I did continuity checks up the purple level line, which required removing the rear seat, left rear side panel, and lower door sill trim. I kept getting intermittent readings, but eventually traced this to a bad connection at an alligator clip. Once that was repaired, I continued checks all the way to the plastic gang connector that attaches at the rear of the gauge cluster. I’ll give Alfa kudos for immeasurably improving gauge access.

Even though the fuel level wire had continuity, no gauge response.

So, I ran a jumper all the way from the sender to the stud protruding from the back of the cluster circuit board. Powered up, and bingo, gauge response. However, no response if I alligatored to the contact point where the gang plug would fit.

After some pondering, I removed the little odd-sized nut from the stud intended to transfer the signal to the gauge, cleaned the circuit board trace and nut face, and reinstalled with a small lock washer.

hurrah. Fuel level now working.

Now I’m wondering if the similar engineering is a factor in my oil pressure readings.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
What's happening with your oil pressure readings?

·
Push hard and live
9,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The OP gauge was not working at all. Bought a new sender, but it turned out to be the wrong sender.

meanwhile, now that the gauge is at least moving, it occasionally twitches, like an electrical intermittency.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
How many ohms is it reading on the bench?

·
Push hard and live
9,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How many ohms for what? Oil pressure sender or fuel level sender?

I’ve got a Veglia-appropriate oil pressure sender on the way. When it arrives I’ll remove the current one and move it to my 115. Im not particularly worried about the oil pressure. The car had been idle for about a year in a moist climate, so I’m gradually working my way through a few crusty ground connections. The more I drive it, the more things will get brought back to snuff.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
How many ohms for what? Oil pressure sender or fuel level sender?

I’ve got a Veglia-appropriate oil pressure sender on the way. When it arrives I’ll remove the current one and move it to my 115. Im not particularly worried about the oil pressure. The car had been idle for about a year in a moist climate, so I’m gradually working my way through a few crusty ground connections. The more I drive it, the more things will get brought back to snuff.

Oil pressure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts