Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 84 spider veloce gas tank that i replaced with a new one. When I pulled the old tank, there was a caulk type of material between the tank and car body. Do I need to find that same stuff or can I use something else?

·
Registered
247 Posts
I just used some dense foam insulating strip, the kind used around doors with adhesive on one side. Worked fine to cushion the tank from chassis vibration and seal the tank seating.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
It is a non hardening material which is sold in body shop supply houses. It comes in a flat box and looks like play dough strips. You peel off a strip and shape it in your hands and apply it in whatever shape and thickness you desire. Old time body men call it auto doppy or dum dum. It never gets hard. NAPA willl have it and probably a lot of other auto parts houses as well. Body shops use it to seal out water intrusion between body panels or anywhere you want to put in a filler to keep out water or suppress noise. (sometimes they use it to cover up mistakes).

Robert

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I was told that new alfa's didn't have the putty there. Since I have that putty, the tank has been replaced once already. Does that sound right?

·
Registered
705 Posts
When I R&R'd my tank, I found the putty to be an unwieldy mess. The tank is difficult to install and the flange made a mess of my carefully applied putty. You have to slide it in at an angle because of the fender/trunk interference.

I scraped it out an used the closed cell foam with the peel and stick backer. Much easier and probably better solution.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Thanks. I was told that new alfa's didn't have the putty there. Since I have that putty, the tank has been replaced once already. Does that sound right?
Could'nt prove it by me. They may not use this exact same product in Italy, maybe something which does the same job but is a different product. But here you can get dum dum and it will do the job you want it to.

Robert

1 - 7 of 7 Posts