Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1973 Spider 2L
235 Posts
I just bought one from centerline. It was more then classic alfa but they told me it was 2 weeks out then told me it would be feburary before they would make the next batch. This was back in November. Dont forget to check fuel lines and filters.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just bought one from centerline. It was more then classic alfa but they told me it was 2 weeks out then told me it would be feburary before they would make the next batch. This was back in November. Dont forget to check fuel lines and filters.
Thanks!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you received it yet?

·
Push hard and live
11,029 Posts
I've got a used but not rusty one out of my 76/77. Needs a thorough cleaning, but should be good after that.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
You may have to modify that tank because 69 spider spica tank is a 1 year only tank. Check the tank pickup and you will need to fit the filler neck as the new tank is different there too. Check the overflow canister as it may need a cleanup and check it for integrity while the tank is out. It may be an option to consider to have your old tank repaired...it will cost some but it may be better in the long run. Just an opinion. Good luck

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You may have to modify that tank because 69 spider spica tank is a 1 year only tank. Check the tank pickup and you will need to fit the filler neck as the new tank is different there too. Check the overflow canister as it may need a cleanup and check it for integrity while the tank is out. It may be an option to consider to have your old tank repaired...it will cost some but it may be better in the long run. Just an opinion. Good luck
Thanks!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes centerline one came in 3 days and was well packaged.
Did the tank need modification to work? A comment made above says that 1969 was the only year they used this particular tank. New ones available today require modification for the 1969. Was this your experience? Thanks

·
Registered
1973 Spider 2L
235 Posts
Did the tank need modification to work? A comment made above says that 1969 was the only year they used this particular tank. New ones available today require modification for the 1969. Was this your experience? Thanks
No mine dropped right in but the filler neck was larger then the oem one on my 73 so the hose needed up going on the inside of the tank and put silicone to seal it. Something else to consider is that from your filter to pump I think might be from tank to filter the size changes.

·
Push hard and live
11,029 Posts
I'll sell it for $100. Firm. I've been keeping it as a spare, but I'm planning to go expat in about a year and won't be taking my trove of spare parts with me.

I bought a new tank simply because I didn't want to spend the time to clean mine. I see no rust nor significant dents. It has the low fuel exit.

I'm not familiar enough with the 69 cars to know the differences. 69 was the first year for Spica cars, and Alfa quickly began making changes after that first year. By the time my 77 (built in 76) arrived, things had settled down. My new tank from Classic Alfa fit perfectly, including the holes drilled around the edge for the hold-in screws.

I've got my tank sitting in the same box CA used to ship to me.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll sell it for $100. Firm. I've been keeping it as a spare, but I'm planning to go expat in about a year and won't be taking my trove of spare parts with me.

I bought a new tank simply because I didn't want to spend the time to clean mine. I see no rust nor significant dents. It has the low fuel exit.

I'm not familiar enough with the 69 cars to know the differences. 69 was the first year for Spica cars, and Alfa quickly began making changes after that first year. By the time my 77 (built in 76) arrived, things had settled down. My new tank from Classic Alfa fit perfectly, including the holes drilled around the edge for the hold-in screws.

That sounds fair. My only concern is that I'm learning that 1969 Spica cars had a unique tank. I don't know what mods I would need to make in order for it to work. I will do more research and get back to you.

·
Premium Member
5,864 Posts
69 are a one year only. Because they have a fixed neck on them. Not like the later ones where the neck is coupled together with a hose.

You can cut out the Spica part of your tank and have a tank shop cut and weld it into a new replacement tank.

·
Push hard and live
11,029 Posts
Jim,

Again - never played with a 69, but...

Might it be possible to cut off the neck of his old 69 and use a hose to connect it to a later tank?

·
Premium Member
5,864 Posts
There no bracket to clamp the neck to to hold it steady like the 71 and later ones.

Also alfa change the neck size at some point in the early 70's

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Hi Don, Seems that any tank other than a tank specifically for a 1969 will not work without extensive modifications. New ones are not available. My only option appears to be having mine repaired by someone who can do it properly and reliably. Thanks for your help!!

·
Push hard and live
11,029 Posts
Go for it! Cheers

1 - 20 of 21 Posts