Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a new gas tank from IAP for my '73 Spider and a new rubber filler neck from them. Problem: the opening on the tank is HUGE, and there's no way the hose they sent will fit, and I can't even buy rubber hose big enough to fit it. Is there an adapter fitting that I'm missing? Anyone else run into this?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anyway, the opening on the tank is about 2 1/4" inches in diameter. The filler neck is about 1 7/8". I tried to build an adapter using galvanized muffler tubing adapters but I couldn't get rubber hose any bigger than 2".

Again, anyone run into this?

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
I had a similar but different problem last year when I replaced the fuel tank on a 1966 Duetto. The new tank, bought from Mr. Fiat on eBay had no filler neck, just a stub about 1" taller than the top of the tank. I ended up cutting the filler neck off the old tank and having a muffler shop swedge and weld the two together.

If you can't figure out a quick solution, I'd call IAP and ask for help or a replacement that will work.

Mark

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a similar but different problem last year when I replaced the fuel tank on a 1966 Duetto. The new tank, bought from Mr. Fiat on eBay had no filler neck, just a stub about 1" taller than the top of the tank. I ended up cutting the filler neck off the old tank and having a muffler shop swedge and weld the two together.

If you can't figure out a quick solution, I'd call IAP and ask for help or a replacement that will work.

Mark
That's the same tank I got from IAP. I'm making an adaptor from an exhaust tubing adaptor but I need to obtain a small length of 2 1/4 inch i.d. fuel filler hose to go from that to the tank, which is not easy to find. I'm going to try some marine or industrial suppliers because no auto parts store carries it.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I would go back to APE and ask them to swap it for a tank that is suitable for your car. It sounds like you have been sent a tank for later fuel injected cars which have the rubber hose connecting to the lip on the tank.

·
Premium Member
14,037 Posts
APE and IAP are not the same company. One of them may not want to be mistaken for the other.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I got a new gas tank from IAP for my '73 Spider and a new rubber filler neck from them. Problem: the opening on the tank is HUGE, and there's no way the hose they sent will fit, and I can't even buy rubber hose big enough to fit it. Is there an adapter fitting that I'm missing? Anyone else run into this?
What did IAP say when you called them and explained that the tank and filler neck they sold you doesn't fit your car?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What did IAP say when you called them and explained that the tank and filler neck they sold you doesn't fit your car?

I called them and told them of my problem and they told me to measure what I had and get back to them. Since my car is in a different location I couldn't do that right away.

The tank is a bottom-feed tank for earlier cars; mine's a '73. The inlet is about 2 1/8 inside diameter; I used the plug that came in that hole to select the exhaust tubing adaptor that I'm attempting to use.

·
Registered
705 Posts
... The inlet is about 2 1/8 inside diameter; I used the plug that came in that hole to select the exhaust tubing adaptor that I'm attempting to use.
This sounds scary and unnecessary. Just get the correct tank and/or filler assembly. Fabricating adapters for your gas tank is just a bad idea.

IAP sold you the wrong thing. They will make it right if you let them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts