Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question about gas tank connections on a 78 Spider.

Where should this connection to the right of the filler hose go. The PO had it stubbed off and I have always smelled gas. The PO did claim to have removed the tank and boiled it. If I understand the system correctly the fuel tank should not be pressurized. So why does this post leak when driving? I get 3.5 psi at the intank pump and 17 psi into the Spica. I hear gurling when the pumps are active. The tank doesn't hiss when I open the gas cap, but it wouldn't if this connector bled off any pressure.

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

Yes it's very different. My vapor tank is forward, underneath the rear window. This car is far from original. A previous owner painted it black and added spoiler, skirts and side panels to make it look like a s3. The tank may not be original.

Does your car have an in tank Pump?

Bob

·
Registered
53 Posts
Re fuel tank

I'm not an Alfa Romeo GURU but...
The picture of your fuel tank connections is identical to my 1987 Spider veloce ?!:eek:

Anyway I attached the Fuel diagram of my Spider.(pdf format)
Hope it helps..

Marc

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
re alfa fuel tank fittings

NO:
I have two small hoses on the left hand side of the big black filler hose (#1 on diagram).
The utmost left little hose comes FROM the engine (black solid line pointing towards the gastank on the diagram)
The second small hose on the left hand side of the big black filler hose (#1 on diagram) goes to the expansion tank (#4 on diagram)(Hollow black line on the diagram)

I have a 3th small hose comming out of the fuel tank, next to the fuel sending unit. This hose goes TO the engine (black solid line pointing towards the fuelpump #14 on the diagram)

So besides the big filler hose, I have 3 lines connected to the fuel tank.
I can take some pics later this evening if needed, but at the moment it is too hot outside.

Good luck
Marc

·
Registered
206 Posts
Rala,

I just had my tank out a few months ago. It looks exactly like yours and the vapor recovery is in the same place.

My car is a '79 but it has some '78 parts.

The extra fitting is capped off like yours. That fitting is another fuel pickup. Since you (should) have an in tank pump that fitting is not used.

Good luck tracking down the source of the fumes.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

Yes it's very different. My vapor tank is forward, underneath the rear window. This car is far from original. A previous owner painted it black and added spoiler, skirts and side panels to make it look like a s3. The tank may not be original.

Does your car have an in tank Pump?

Bob
FYI -- my '77 does not have an in-tank fuel pump. Sounds like my '77 isn't really relevent and you're getting better responses from others anyways. Good luck.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I guess that's the answer. SNIC (Situation Normal for Italian Cars).

Marc. Stay in where it's cool.

Thanks for the help.
Bob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts