Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am ordering fuel system parts for my 164Q.

Got a new Bosch fuel pump and a fuel filter. Found a killer price at a non-Alfa auto parts place.

Plus a check valve. Plus a fuel pump seal.

My mechanic has hose, so I don't have to order it.

Do I need one of these really? Fuel Pump Rubber Bushing ? Alfissimo International - Fuel Pump Rubber Bushing

(the original completely fell apart & made a huge mess)

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Cross your fingers you don't need one, because you will have a hard time finding one. That being said, I would call around and try to locate one, just to have. Maybe for now, maybe to put on the shelf for later. They will only get harder to find in the future. If yours is already toast than yes you need one. I would also try to get a basket on hand as they can break on removal.
Charles

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Walbro In-Tank Fuel Pump Kit ITP002 - Motorsport-Tools.com

I haven't dabbled in the fuel system much at all yet, so I apologize in advance if this is incorrect...

Can someone comment if this is a correct pump replacement? It would appear to include the rubber bushing. Walbro model pump ITP002. All over the internet, but it looks like they all ship from overseas.

·
Premium Member
27,001 Posts
Walbro In-Tank Fuel Pump Kit ITP002 - Motorsport-Tools.com

I haven't dabbled in the fuel system much at all yet, so I apologize in advance if this is incorrect...

Can someone comment if this is a correct pump replacement? It would appear to include the rubber bushing. Walbro model pump ITP002. All over the internet, but it looks like they all ship from overseas.
ALFA ROMEO 60572050 is 164 pump and it is in the list on that website.

I did both a shipping calculation to USA east coast and currency conversion and came up with about a $135 cost.

Not sure about pump check valve or how you attach pressure line to the pump but it shows the rubber bushing for that 38mm diameter pump. I guess that is about same diameter as Bosch pump or a maybe bit smaller.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought Bosch 69410 which should work. Am buying a new relay from Alfissimo per recommendation of my mechanic.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
That is good news if there is indeed an aftermarket mounting bushing available. It looks correct to me.
Charles

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
On second look, it does look like that pump could be smaller diameter, and we all know that the euro fuel tank assembly is different that the USA version. This part number for the Walbro kit seems to always bring up a UK supplier, so that kit may very well (surely) be to fit the euro fuel tank and fuel pump assembly. Not sure we will know if it will work in the USA tank unless someone buys one of these kits and tries to fit it.
Also. I'm finding conflicting images of what the mounting bush actually looks like.
Charles

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I know what you mean about the conflicting images Charles. Some of the "kits" show gaskets and a hose in lieu of the bushing.

Off topic, but with the work I've done on a 12 valve so far, I could offer some "while you're in there" advice. May or may not be applicable.

Check power antenna function if you're interested. Mine was busted.

Check for a burnt up rear window defroster fuse behind battery. Mine was extra crispy.

Check all the visible fuel vent/canister hoses and fittings for cracks and clamp tightness. Leaks will lead to fuel odors in cabin with window down driving.

·
Premium Member
27,001 Posts
The Bosch pump is 52mm diameter so unless this Walbro In-Tank Fuel Pump Kit ITP002 - Motorsport-Tools.com comes with its own bushing like in the picture it won't be a tight fit in OEM 60572049 bushing.

Here is picture of used 60572049 bushing and 82404491 anti-vibration damper pad for basket.

The pen is stuck in the hole for the soda straw.

Both are in pretty good shape and could be used in a pinch if you can't find a new one of each.

I hardly ever throw anything away unless it is totally destroyed.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
27,001 Posts

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
The price of the pump plus basket = 1 running 164! In fact, I bought a 164B for just a little more than that pump and drove it home.

·
Premium Member
27,001 Posts
That 126809 is wrong one that is for 60mm diameter pump. The 164 uses 53mm pump and Ferrari number for that rubber bushing is 153188 and they say to call about that one. Seems like 512 uses two different size pumps and the 348 and others use the 53mm pump like the 164.

They have the anti-damper pad listed as 126807 and inner filter basket as 126808 at prices we could afford.

Not sure about the outer basket but 512 one looks the same as 164 one. Didn't check to see if they had two different part numbers for it.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rubber fuel pump holder

I most definitely couldn't find a new or used rubber fuel pump holder. So we're proceeding with the new Bosch fuel pump that I bought ... and no rubber holder. The original one totally dissolved.

Not perfect but my mechanic says it should be fine.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
27,001 Posts
I most definitely couldn't find a new or used rubber fuel pump holder. So we're proceeding with the new Bosch fuel pump that I bought ... and no rubber holder. The original one totally dissolved.

Not perfect but my mechanic says it should be fine.

Thoughts?
I don't think you want to do it that way unless he got to home depot or Lowes and gets some rubber couplings in the plumbing department. I did this morning and will see what I can make that would work.

I can sell you my old one, too.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Steve. Let me know. We need to get whatever solution done by Saturday or Sunday. Pump has shipped. (did you look at the Bosch one I ordered?) Filter has shipped. Also, new relay component from Jason at Alfissimo. The missing part is the rubber basket.

·
Premium Member
27,001 Posts
How to make a replacement 164 fuel pump bushing for $4.98

How to make a replacement 164 fuel pump bushing using a $4.98 2" x 1 1/2" (50,, x 38mm) P1065-215 rubber plumbing PlumbQwik sewer and drain coupling made by Fernco | Global Leaders in Flexible Couplings, Drainage & Plumbing Systems test. It is even made in USA and now modified in the USA.

I cut off about 1 inch off the 2" end and slipped it on the Bosch feul pump and fitted the assembly into the inner filter nylon basket and installed the top nylon retainer ring. There is even room to insert black soda straw. You will need to drill hole in rubber bushing for venting soda straw.

I even made one using their P1056-150 38mmx38mm and P22U (50mmx50mm) by cutting both of them in halves and slipping them together but I think the P1056-215 the easier way. It even comes with a new clamp.

Here is picture of it: P1056-215 | Fernco

Here are my test results of testing rubber in gasoline: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164-168-1991-1995/176766-what-did-you-do-alfa-related-today-123.html#post5858130

Here are my pictures of doing it:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
I think that chart is only for PVC. This coupling is not PVC, but a type of rubber.
Charles

1 - 20 of 38 Posts