Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my friends. I am requesting a discussion on the subject of Fuel Stabilizers. Any information would be highly appreciated. In particular, I would like answers to the following questions;

1. How does a fuel stabilizer work?

2. What is the maximun length of time you can safely leave un-
stabilized fuel stored in a tank before it is recommenced to add a
fuel stabilizer to the fuel in the tank?

3. How long is stabilized fuel good for before you should discard it?

4. When you re-start a fuel stabilized vehicle, do you just start
it and run out the stabilized fuel before adding freash
un-stabilized new fuel?

5. Do you stabilize Kerosene the same way as Gasoline? Do
you treat Kerosene the same as Gasoline as far as fuel stabilizer
is concerned?

6. Do you use the same fuel stabilizer in Kerosene that you use in
Gasloine?

7. Any other knowledge and tips to know about stabilizing fuels?

Thanks in adance, Robert in Memphis TN.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,534 Posts
I don't have any real technical details for you, but I can tell you what I do. The Giulia doesn't get driven too much, so sometimes the fuel is 2 or even 3 months old. I never had running problems but with fuel older than a month it could be tough to get the Webers started.

I've been adding Sta-Bil to every fill-up (1oz per 5gals, I think) and it's definitely made a difference in keeping the car easy to start through the whole tank. Per Sta-Bil their stuff is fine to use in every tank.

Kerosene is not like gasoline...it's a heavier petroleum fraction, more like a light oil. I don't think kerosene goes bad, not for a long time at least.

·
Premium Member
1,937 Posts
I am no authority on this, but seeing as I live in the Great White North, I'm in the unfortunate position of having to put my Spider to sleep for 5-6 months, so I have some knowledge.

Firstly its a preservative, and I don't know the specifics of how it works, but being a preservative, it need to be added to fresh or relatively fresh fuel. It is not a restorer that makes old fuel good again.

Before going to sleep, the car is filled to the brim to reduce the likelihood of moisture and resulting tank corrosion. However the car is run for a few minutes to get the treated gas thru the entire system.

Its almost my understanding that it keeps fuel good for about 6 months, although it likely doesn't keep the fuel 100% fresh for that time. My cousins Spider was in storage for 8-9 years and I can't believe how bad the gas smelt.

When I get my car back on the road, I like to burn thru that gas as much as I can before refuelling. If I won't use the car too much at first, I will top it up with fresh gas.

I typically use Stabil, but have also used Seafoam.

I have no experience with kerosene.

I hope some of what I've written helps. I'm sure some chemical engineer will chime in and answer the how it works in detail, which I too am curious about, although I've never asked myself the question and went as far as googling it.

Lastly, I sure wish I lived far enough south that I could drive my car year round, and could only offer a comment of hearing the term stabilizer, but having no idea what it was.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi Robert,
I don't know the answer to all of your queries but here is how I understand it:

1) Fuel stabilizer from what I have read is mostly isopropyl alcohol, and I would imagine some sort of anti-oxidant to keep the fuel from oxidizing. Some stabilizers also have other additives to remove water from the gas.

2) I would say a few months depending on the container it is stored in. Anything over 3 months I put stabilizer in. Gasoline is highly volatile and you will lose the lighter components through evaporation in a container that isn't air tight.

3) Stabil claims it will keep the gas fresh for 1 year. I'm sure it will be fine longer to a point.

4) When I start my Alfa in the spring I keep topping up the tank to get as much fresh fuel in as quickly as possible but given that the gas will be fine up to a year that is probably overkill.

Not sure about kerosene but I would guess it would be similar. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My cousins Spider was in storage for 89 years and I can't believe how bad the gas smelt.
I know it is a typo and am certainlly not beating you up over it. But I do hope your cousins Spider has been in storage for 89 years. That would make it a 1926 model and therefore worth millions, bad fuel not withstanding!

Thanks for your reply!

·
Premium Member
1,937 Posts
I know it is a typo and am certainlly not beating you up over it. But I do hope your cousins Spider has been in storage for 89 years. That would make it a 1926 model and therefore worth millions, bad fuel not withstanding!

Thanks for your reply!
Hey, were did my hyphen go??? It was only 8-9 years.

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
Advice from "The Big Kids"

Hello Robert,

Your excellent questions got me to firing up Google and I found an excellent source of information at the site of Bell Performance. They have been involved in gas and diesel additives, as well as oil treatments, since 1909 so I believe they may be trusted.

One of their corporate goals is to "...make the world a better place...", which, in our own humble ways we all endevor to do, but these folks came right out and said it!

These links were slow to load on my system but worth the wait and may be read in just a few minutes each (maybe less for you since I have to trace with a finger and my lips move :nerd:). Of course, I have no relationship with the company and trust our ever watchful moderators will burn this post if it borders on a commercial.

Ethanol fuel stabilizers

This article addresses machinery that sits a lot:

Fuel Stabilizer for Motorcycles: Keeping Fuel Fresh

All the best.

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
Web site issues.

Bell must be experiencing site issues.

I left a phone message regarding slow loads and would suggest waiting till Monday or later to visit.

Was going to copy/paste the entire articles but they may not be too keen about that.

All the best.

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
30 second wait for load...

...but excellent 411. :smile2:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts