Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
76 Alfetta GT, I had been having a fresh fuel smell in the car, I replaced the fuel filler hose and had some improvement. Then last week I filled the car full and it was back in a big way, then I discovered that the hose leading from the little hole in front of the fuel cap through the fender to dump overflow fuel on ground, this hose was short and dumping fuel in the fender. I replaced the hose.

Today, I went for a spirted drive, and got some fuel smell back, I noticed that a little fuel dripped on ground. This means fuel sloshed against fuel cap, cap leaked, fuel ran into overflow pipe. So that means a new fuel cap gasket, anything else or thoughts?

Thanks,

ncng

·
Administrator
17,371 Posts
Does your Alfetta have a fuel vapor recovery system? If so, they usually have a one way valve and/or an air inlet valve. If either (or both) get clogged and stuck then the tank will not be properly vented leading to pressurization and resultant fuel spill and odors.

In the GTV6 the one way valve and air inlet valve are accessed by removing the back seat. Remove them and soak them with carb cleaner to revive them.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eric, I am really not sure at all, what do I look for, picture?

Thank you for your help,

ncng

Does your Alfetta have a fuel vapor recovery system? If so, they usually have a one way valve and/or an air inlet valve. If either (or both) get clogged and stuck then the tank will not be properly vented leading to pressurization and resultant fuel spill and odors.

In the GTV6 the one way valve and air inlet valve are accessed by removing the back seat. Remove them and soak them with carb cleaner to revive them.

·
Administrator
17,371 Posts
In our '84 Spider it is easy - open the trunk, flip down a panel at the front of the trunk to find the vapor recovery tank, hoses, one-way valve & air intake vent (shown below).

In our '81 GTV6 it is behind the back seat under the horizontal panel at the top. Similar vapor recovery components are located there.

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
I went through this recently with my 1983 GTV6. Replaced all the Tubing except the hard plastic bit between the engine bay and condensation tank. I threaded a piece of wire down the entire length of that to make sure it was clear.
Two problems I found:
1. The new piece of tubing I put in between the vapour tank and the fuel tank was just over length enough to kink and prevent any fumes (or me blowing as hard as I could) through.
2. There is a small plastic restrictor in the end of the metal tube on the top of the fuel tank that takes the tube from the Vapour collection tank. This has a very fine hole which has something to do with letting gases/oil vapour flow one way. There was actually a factory mod issued for the 75 to drill it out slightly as it can block. Careful when removing the rubber tubing off the metal spigot as my restrictor popped out, luckily it fell on the top of the tank rather than falling somewhere inaccessible.

AL

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
System is simular to of Alfa's.

So I got a chance to work on today, the valve to the expantion tank was plugged, I ran small wire through and cleared. Running with a 1/2 tank of fuel I did alot of spirted curvey driving, no smell, unitl the very last stretch and on a hairpin curve sloshing fuel towards fuel fill side (drivers side in US) of car.

Thoughts?

ncng

·
Registered
145 Posts
1. Fuel filler hose – but you say you’ve replaced that.

2. Overflow hose – Same. Sometimes people have trouble getting them to stay on the spigot/tube in the fender – in 75’s anyway – hard to get access I believe.

3. Could be the seal on the filler cap – Fill the tank, make sure the area around the cap is clean and drive and go for another spirited drive. Jump out and check if the fuel is leaking past the cap.

4. Seam in the tank has rusted through? An ALFETTA owner said this happens occasionally when valves are blocked. Summer heat cycles over pressurising the tank stresses the seams. Do you get the whoosh of pressure when opening the filler cap in summer? Wipe around the tank with a rag then go for that spirited drive with a nearly full tank then run your finger around the tank.

5. I had to replace the seal for the fuel gauge on the top of the GTV6 tank also. With a full tank you could see the wetness around the seal after a drive. Tightening the screws didn’t help, had to make up a new thick seal.

Good Luck

AL.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Al,

1) Fuel filler hose-Yes this good for sure.

2) Overflow hose-This was a problem, it was short, dumping fuel in the fender, wasn't very hard, i replaced it and saw big improvment.

3) Could be the seal on the filler cap-Thank you for this suggestion, this is what I suspected after my last drive, I will check tommorrow.

4) Seam in the tank has rusted through?-I have check around tank generally to try and find wetness, seems very dry, car has been in California and Colorado, dry climates.

5) I had to replace the seal for the fuel gauge on the top of the GTV6 tank-I checked around seal, all very dry, but only 5 or 6 bolts in, someone in past broke off head on one of the bolts. But very, very dry.

Thank you so much for your help, I will update you,

ncng

1. Fuel filler hose – but you say you’ve replaced that.

2. Overflow hose – Same. Sometimes people have trouble getting them to stay on the spigot/tube in the fender – in 75’s anyway – hard to get access I believe.

3. Could be the seal on the filler cap – Fill the tank, make sure the area around the cap is clean and drive and go for another spirited drive. Jump out and check if the fuel is leaking past the cap.

4. Seam in the tank has rusted through? An ALFETTA owner said this happens occasionally when valves are blocked. Summer heat cycles over pressurising the tank stresses the seams. Do you get the whoosh of pressure when opening the filler cap in summer? Wipe around the tank with a rag then go for that spirited drive with a nearly full tank then run your finger around the tank.

5. I had to replace the seal for the fuel gauge on the top of the GTV6 tank also. With a full tank you could see the wetness around the seal after a drive. Tightening the screws didn’t help, had to make up a new thick seal.

Good Luck

AL.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fresh Fuel Smell in Car Alfetta GT

I declare it fixed:) Finally piece was fuel cap gasket. So for future review I had to fix:

1) Fuel Filler hose
2) The hose that goes from overflow hole in front on fuel cap, the hose had shrank and was dumping overflow fuel inside fender
3) orface to expansion tank was plugged
4) fuel cap gasket was no sealing

Did another spirted drive, no smell, nothing! :D

Any suggestions on a deorderizer to use to kill any residual odor?

Thanks,

ncng

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I ordered one from VeloceSpace, however have not gotten yet, so went to parts store and got 2 either Volvo or Saab gas cap seals, it took two because the Alfa one is so thick.

Thanks,

ncng

I have found that the smell goes away after a while. So where did you get the fuel cap gasket? I need one of those too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts