Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which direction does the fuel sender’s “leg” move up and down toward?

Is it toward the front of the car?

Toward the rear?

Toward the side?

Thanks in advance!

Leg circled:

·
Push hard and live
9,336 Posts
I just installed one today. Put leg toward rear. Not sure that’s right, but I think it is.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Looks like float faces front right corner....

[/IMG]

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,205 Posts
I don't have a Spica car but in my other Alfas it points to the right. You point it front or back your fuel gauge turns into an accelerometer.

·
Push hard and live
9,336 Posts
I just installed one of the aftermarket units into a new, bottom pickup tank. When I attempted to point it forward or Angled to the right, it fouled things on the bottom. The fuel pickup tube was not needed for my installation, so I trimmed it short and plugged it.

I notice in the OP’s photo above, the fuel outlet would most likely be pointed forward, which would point the float rearward. The aftermarket sender I bought had the outlet pointed straight up, but as I said, I whacked that off.

With the bobber pointed into the fat part of the tank at the rear, the rise and fall due to acceleration would be less than if pointed into a more narrow area of the tank. However, I generally look at the gauge only when cruising at constant speed.

·
Registered
1978 Spider
200 Posts
I just replaced my in tank pump...78 SPICA...as I "recall" the bobber faced forward and arm was on the right to the right....as I "recall"...

when I removed the unit the ground was forward and the 3 wires for the pump and sender were towards the rear of the car...the fuel outlet is straight up so that gives no positive indication of which way the unit fits.

At least that's how my car was when I pulled it out. the PO had been in the tank before and could have easily reversed it.

·
Push hard and live
9,336 Posts
I’m pretty sure the OE sender intended to use an in-tank pump had the fuel outlet bent over, and intended to point forward. It’s the aftermarket senders where the outlet points straight up.

I would have also have expected the terminals to point forward. On the car I just repaired, the leads are not sufficiently long to reach spades pointing rearward. Trying to do so pulls the wires out to rise above the tank surface, and the curve of the trunk ahead of the tank. An unlikely design feature.

·
Registered
1978 Spider
200 Posts
Since mine is a "recall" year...I would assume the sender/pump unit is correct for a late S2-S4 model...

the terminals on mine all point straight up. One in the forward of the fuel outlet tube and to the rear of the outlet tube. But again you could flip it 180' or any which way for that matter since the outlet tube sticks straight up.

However..there are two clues i can think of...if your trunk is laid out like mine...

first clue is the metal supply tube that leads out of the trunk and to the first filter....that tube is on the left of the trunk and ends near the fuel filler and points to the rear of the car. The hose from that point to the outlet tube on the fuel sender unit would likely have made a wide sweeping turn behind the fuel filler and then back towards the sender unit, coming in from the left rear corner of the trunk and then forward/right to meet the sender unit. If your sender unit has a bent over or angled outlet...it probably should point to the left and rear to meet the hose head on.

The second clue I can offer is that rubber piece that covers the sender unit and has a channel for the fuel out let hose...that rubber piece I think only fits with the outlet hose going toward the rear/left of the trunk...this results in the hose then making a sweeping turn to the left and then forward to meet the fuel supply tube near the fuel filler neck as described above. If your fuel system is similar, then you would point the "bent/angled" fuel sender/pump unit towards the left/rear...and the sender arm/float would just have to point whatever direction you are left with.

And about the outlet "bend"...the illustrations in John Stewart's SPICA article (Ver 8, Aug 2013) with the AR fuel pump recall show the outlet as straight up, but no orientation cluses.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts