Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installing a new in-tank fuel pump. When I pulled the existing pump out, I noticed that the sender float was jammed into the fuel filter baggie. The way the sender had been installed, the orientations of the pieces (and how they probably interfered with one another) went a long way toward explaining why my fuel gauge gave me flaky readings when I dropped below a half-tank of gas.

What is the correct orientation for installing the sender in the tank? I read somewhere that the float should be oriented "east-west" instead of "north-south," but that doesn't tell me if the float should be situated with the float closest to the outward driver's side or closest to the car's center.

If I take the service manual's drawing (attached) literally, that points my float inward and upward, toward the passenger seat. Does that seem correct to you?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
The float goes "east-west" with it on the right side of the tube such that when the tank is full, the float arm stick out horizontally towards the right side of the car. I find that the gauge bounces around quite a bit (more) when installed in the position shown in the manual.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts