Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I am going through the electric circuit of my car (rather easy with papajam's wonderful color chart) I have come to question my fuel tank sender (no reading from it).

I have dismantled it and have 2 qestions:
1. there seems to be current flow/contact issues. I will clean up the metal to metal contacts (wire brush-sandpaper) but should I plate/paint/coat the parts with anything to prevent corrosion ? (it should not corrode once dipped in gas - should it ?)

2. The finger that runs on the wired resistance seems funny (has a hole in it). Is this normal or is it worn down ? It should still work .. right ?

Roland

Attachments

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Fuel sender

I forgot.. I can probably repair it or buy a buy a new one. Could not find any new ones that looked like this one on my normal part suppliers. Anybody have a better clue than I ?

Roland

·
Registered
333 Posts
Roland,

It has been a while, but I seem to remember that there was a metal "brush" held in that finger.

In any case my sender was rusted solid, so I replaced it. The '69 units were NLA, so I bought the newer unit. The difference is that it has the fuel supply line running through it. I cut this flush with the top of the sender, and put in a brass plug. Looks pretty good.

I also added a separate earth from the sender, as rhe tank did not earth all that well after painting, sealing, etc.

It is great to be able to tell how much gas I have!

Marc

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fuel sender

Which one did you buy ? These are the ones I found ...

FUEL TANK SENDER - VEGLIA 006
FUEL TANK SENDER - JAEGER 007
FUEL TANK SENDER - 2000 TYPE
FUEL SENDER - INJECTION SPIDER

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fuel sender finger

You mentionned a metal brush.. i looked in my little pan with all the parts.. did not see any stuck inthere..... If I clean up the finger and other contacts I assume it might work... I'l try. But a new one might be a better solution in the long term.

Roland

·
Registered
333 Posts
As I said, not sure on the brush part, as I am going from memory.

I looked up the receipt for the part I purchased.

It was from centerline, part no: FL329.

Description: Fuel float spider 69 - 79 (modify for '69)

HTH,

Marc

·
Premium Member
13,098 Posts
I think that the missing piece is made of carbon. I extended the life of one like that by bending the wiper arm so that it made contact with the rheostat windings. It did not do much for the accuracy. I have a brand new sender for an '82 spider that I will sell for 50% of the IAP price. You need to check to see if it will fit.
Ed Prytherch, Columbia SC

·
Out of the office!
11,214 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sender

I'll try to find an old little electric motor and getthe carbon brushes out ans see if there is a way of hooking it up... or maybe if I put a spot of solder on the end of the finger ?
If not I'll go for a new one and plug the fuel outlet..

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Carbon brushes are available for (for instance) starter motors. I purchased some a few years ago for a Spider starter that I thought was perhaps a little worn out. Turned out not to be the case, but the car and brushes both are gone now. But brushes should be available. Maybe someone will provide a picture of the unit as it should be?

Michael

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Done !

Well I went the easy route. I put a tad of solder on the tip of the finger. First a ball (photo1) and then I thought I should enlargen the point of contact so I made a flattened glob (photo2).

I assembled the casing and made measurements. It seems to work great !!!

Not sure if these readings are any good but at least it gives me a reading. (shouldn't the "tank empty" reading be higher than 0.34 ? I tried it many times and it always gave me that precise reading).

Here is the first series that measure the gauge.

Attachments

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Fuel sender

This repair took mere minutes.. really no time.
< 5 minutes to take out of tank.
1 min to dismantle
< 5 min to understand how it works
2 minutes to clean
10 minutes to get solder hot and make fix
5 minutes to close up and test.

Total less than 30 minutes !

Hoping it will last.. time will tell. Contact against solder is probably really poor compared to carbon brushes, but what a fast fix.

By the way are these readings any good ?

Other point: when I tested the leads to the gauge I had 12 v in one lead and only 9v something in the other.. is this normal ? Maybe a poor contact. I'll check the leads next week.

Roland

·
Registered
235 Posts
Nice MacGyver repair!

Just as a point, you might want to get a line on a replacement sender. I bet the repair you've made won't last too many years...

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Fuel Sender

I'll let the board know if it dies on me. Right now I have so many things on my plate that I am happy to have this quick fix in place.. If I ever get my hands on a carbon brush I will solder it or screw it on the finger... At least I can wait a while until I tackle the problem again...

Well, time to head to the next challenge :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts