Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Is the fuel recirculator necessary on a 73’ spider running dual Webers?

Can I just plug the holes?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
These systems were introduced to stop noxious petrol fumes entering the atmophere, not to make the cars run better. One of many anti-pollution devices coming into being in the ‘70s Worldwide.
You don’t need it to make the car go, but having a ‘sealed’ system like this probably means you have a non-vented fuel cap to go with it.
If you delete the box and/or plug holes, you’ll at least need a vented fuel cap. The tank needs to breathe as the fuel level drops.
Only you will know what your local smog rules say you can or can’t do.

·
Premium Member
21,688 Posts
You don't need to recirculate fuel from carbs if you have the approx right fuel pressure. The smog stuff, if it's a 75 or earlier in Calif, no one is going to check. BAR reserves the right to do roadside spot checks, even of cars older than the 76 smog check cutoff, but I have never in fact seen or heard of it. So odds are you can do anything you like if it's 75 or older.
Andrew

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
These systems were introduced to stop noxious petrol fumes entering the atmophere, not to make the cars run better. One of many anti-pollution devices coming into being in the ‘70s Worldwide.
You don’t need it to make the car go, but having a ‘sealed’ system like this probably means you have a non-vented fuel cap to go with it.
If you delete the box and/or plug holes, you’ll at least need a vented fuel cap. The tank needs to breathe as the fuel level drops.
Only you will know what your local smog rules say you can or can’t do.
Will using one hose from the tank to the filler neck outlet by the gas cap work?

I’d plug the rest..

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
if I understand you...no...merely connecting those two nipples is still a sealed loop, with no way to draw/vent to the outside. You’d still need that vented cap: Ask Alfetta owners about crumpling fuel tanks after their breather system gets blocked. If you do both things, then you should be fine.
Unless I am missing something, I can’t quite reconcile your desire to delete the function of this ugly contraption without just removing it all - is that what you mean to do? Don’t forget capping the engine end of the breather.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if I understand you...no...merely connecting those two nipples is still a sealed loop, with no way to draw/vent to the outside. You’d still need that vented cap: Ask Alfetta owners about crumpling fuel tanks after their breather system gets blocked. If you do both things, then you should be fine.
Unless I am missing something, I can’t quite reconcile your desire to delete the function of this ugly contraption without just removing it all - is that what you mean to do? Don’t forget capping the engine end of the breather.
Gotcha

Speaking of.. where on the engine is the fuel vapor routed back to?

I’m thinking I’ve already removed that piece since I’ve converted to carbs but I want to make sure.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
To the Cam cover on my Alfetta, near the breather tube back to the OVS.
By the time it reached the cam cover it was a small metal tube running along the top of the manifold (Water return to thermostat/radiator).
Not sure what Spiders have. My Alfetta is gone, so I can’t take a pic.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts