Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I was working on my separate leaking block issue, I took out the intake plenum ('85 Spider Veloce) this evening per the shop manual. Next, I was preparing to remove the fuel rail, when I realized that the car does not have any support for the fuel rail, but rather, the only thing holding the fuel rail (and fuel-pressure regulator) up is the short hoses to the injectors. This seems very bad to me.

My fuel rail has the bracket in the middle where the support attachment should be, but there is nothing to connect it to. What is it supposed to connect to? I'm speculating that it is supposed to connect to part of the plenum support to the engine mount, but I've never seen what that part is supposed to look like. As you can see below, however, it appears that the PO took a hacksaw to part of that support.

I plan to kluge up something that will work, but if anyone has a picture of what this support is supposed to look like, that would be greatly appreciated.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
You'll want McMaster-Carr part # 4403K722 to do the job.
(info supplied by the ever affable ghnl)

It's metal ends affixed to a rubber center so as to dampen vibration. Simular to the engine mounts actually.
Make sure you use some nev~r~sieze on the threads or sometime down the line it may have to be cut out again.

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Darren. I assume that the upper threaded portion is secured by a nut to the fuel-rail bracket. Do you have a picture (or even a sketch) of what it attaches to on the bottom? Whatever that part is, I don't have, as it appears that the PO cut the actual supporting structure.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
It's part of the plenum support arm that goes from engine mount to plenum.
If yours has been cut up, you'll need to find an intact replacement or do some creative welding.
(it's a fairly straight run at least, but length is obviously important as is following the angle it comes off the main support at)

And yes, it gets a nut w/washer at both ends to hold things in place.
You can see the rail support arm in the pic below:

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Darren,

Thank you so much. That is perfect. With the plenum out, I think that I should be able to get something to work. And I just ordered the support part from McMaster-Carr.

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
APE prolly has a whole arm laying about for not a lot of $ if you wanted to go that route instead of trying to fab something.
(you'd still need the rubber stuff of course)
That's preferable. I'll give them a call. Thanks.

·
Registered
837 Posts
In my '83, the plenum support bar goes up to the plenum, then back to the engine head/block, the number "7".

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
If APE doesn't have one I have one in very good shape that i be willing to let go for $10.

It came off a 91 Spider that only had 20,000 miles on it..............think there the same?

Attachments

·
Registered
837 Posts
If APE doesn't have one I have one in very good shape that i be willing to let go for $10.

It came off a 91 Spider that only had 20,000 miles on it..............think there the same?
Looks like the same thing I have in my '83 S3.

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Murray,

I'll take it. Thank you much. I'll PM you regarding payment details.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts