Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With key in on position should both pumps continue to run as long as key is on? I thought they would shut off.

·
Premium Member
13,473 Posts
Depends upon the model year.

·
Premium Member
13,473 Posts
The pump is energized when the key is in the start position. When the key is in the run position a confirmation of engine running is required to keep it energized. It drops out when the engine stops.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Oh, so that is how it works... I thought it just shut off when it builds pressure. Sorry for the bum steer!

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
With key in on position should both pumps continue to run as long as key is on? I thought they would shut off.
You likely have a KAE brand fuel pump relay instead of the original Bosch, because this is the only known operational difference between the two. I asked the same question years ago when I made the same discovery in my car.

In the key on position the pumps should only run for 1/2 second.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes I just replaced my bosch with a KAE relay.With the bosch relay both pumps ran with the key off untill I banged it.Now they run all the time with the key on. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
7,654 Posts
Pumps do not shut off with key in on position at all. Normal for a KAE ?
that's what most seem to do!
Then again, you read posts on BB where the KAE has operated just like the bosch, so its obviously not "normal".

(certainly better that running with the key off, as your old Bosch did....I'd undo the Bosch and see if you can fix it!...clean the points)

I guess you pays your money and you takes your choice:)
inside a KAE...simple looking:
https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/6780409-post25.html

inside the Bosch...looks better engineered:
https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/7652081-post28.html

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
My '79 Spider Veloce never had this problem, then I switched out the in-tank fuel pump and the fuel sending unit recently, and also switched out the old three-port secondary fuel pump (under the car, near the right rear wheel) with a two-port model from Centerline, and capped off the pressure relief line. I didn't change any relays, but now my fuel pumps are both on whenever the car is running. The in-tank pump in particular is really loud and whinny! This is irritating and can't be good for pump longevity. I did have to use different connectors to connect the old wiring to the new fuel pump, but I can't see how that could have any bearing on this problem. Has anyone encountered, and hopefully solved, this problem before?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts