Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car is a 1972 GTV2000. I just replaced the original pump with a Bosch pump after coating the fuel tank, replacing all the fuel filters (including the oil filter in the Spica pump) and all the rubber fuel lines. I blew compressed air through all the metal lines to clear them out as well.

Now for the problems.... How fragile is the Bosch pump? I think I killed it trying to get it primed. I put 2 gallons of fresh gas into the tank and turned the key over the acc position to get the fuel pump running. The light didn't go out after 5 seconds (I could hear the pump running), so I shut it off. I pulled the input line into the spica off, turned the key, no gas coming out. Pulled the hose off the output of the Bosch pump and routed it to a catch can, turned the key on, no gas came out.

I checked that fuel does indeed pour out all over the place from the tank and from the filter before the pump. But I get nothing from the fuel pump. I did notice that the fuel level in the tank was slightly below the fuel pump. If I raised the disconnected fuel line to the level of the pump, gas stopped flowing. So the pump would have to prime itself by sucking a little air first.

Should I have put more gas in the tank? Is there a way to prime these pumps?

Second question is with the Spica pump. I changed the filter in it, but couldn't see any way to fill the Spica pump with oil. Does the Spica get oil from the engine, or is there a place to fill the Spica with new oil?

I have the Ingram book on the Spicas, but there's no mention of this in there.

Thanks.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Did you install the supply pump backwards? There should be no problem with the pump priming itself if you have gas gravity feeding out the rear fuel filter.

The Spica pump uses unfiltered engine oil directly from the engine oil pump. However, that's primarily in the forward section of the injection pump. The logic (rear section) has captive oil. Some oil will seep into the rear section from the front. It's a good idea to ocassionally change the oil in the logic section. Unfortunately, there is no drain plug for the logic section so you have to suck it out. You do this by removing the Barometric Compensator (triangular plate on top of the pump). The BC just lifts out once you remove the three screws. DO NOT move and throttle linkage while the BC is removed. Insert a tube down into the bottom and suck the old oil out with a big syringe available at any auto parts store. Refill with the same type and weight of oil you use for the engine. I'll take about a half pint. Don't worry about overfilling since any excess will drain into the engine sump through an overflow port.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you install the supply pump backwards? There should be no problem with the pump priming itself if you have gas gravity feeding out the rear fuel filter.
Nope. I double checked that after an hour of getting pissed off by switching the wires on the pump. Turned the key and heard bubbles in the gas tank, so I turned it off quickly.

Gravity feed... well, the fuel level wasn't high enough to get the fuel to the pump via gravity alone. I guess I'll try to put more gas in the tank before buying a new pump. I guess the pump doesn't move air too well.

The Spica pump uses unfiltered engine oil directly from the engine oil pump. However, that's primarily in the forward section of the injection pump. The logic (rear section) has captive oil. Some oil will seep into the rear section from the front. It's a good idea to ocassionally change the oil in the logic section. Unfortunately, there is no drain plug for the logic section so you have to suck it out. You do this by removing the Barometric Compensator (triangular plate on top of the pump). The BC just lifts out once you remove the three screws. DO NOT move and throttle linkage while the BC is removed. Insert a tube down into the bottom and suck the old oil out with a big syringe available at any auto parts store. Refill with the same type and weight of oil you use for the engine. I'll take about a half pint. Don't worry about overfilling since any excess will drain into the engine sump through an overflow port.
Ok thanks. Will do. I have a handheld electric pump for changing oil in boat engines which should work fine.

I'll have many more questions on this car. I have a bunch of really good manuals for the GTV, but my car has been... modified a bit over the years before I got it. Things like odd wires not connected to anything, and no obvious signs of where they originally went...

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
You have the (rear) fuel filter going the right way, don't ya'? There is an arrow indicating fuel flow direction.

Attachments

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You have the (rear) fuel filter going the right way, don't ya'? There is an arrow indicating fuel flow direction.
One of the first things I checked....

Plus when I disconnect the fuel line from the filter to the pump, gas comes out.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Gotcha :eek:, I see that now. Guess it could be a defective pump:(. The inlets and outlets to the pump are clear? Bummer.

·
Registered
56 Posts
have you tried letting the tank filter hang below the level of the tank outlet to make sure it fills up by itself? I had to do this once with an old AEG pump who wouldn't prime itself.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
have you tried letting the tank filter hang below the level of the tank outlet to make sure it fills up by itself? I had to do this once with an old AEG pump who wouldn't prime itself.
That's what I'm going to try as soon as my wife brings my car back and I can get more gas. Her volvo is in the shop, and I pulled the battery out of the van to put in the Alfa, its raining so I'm not going to strap a gascan to the back of the motorcycle... :mad:

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Go to HP PUMPS and download the guides there. If you want some more Spica stuff, PM me an email address capable of receiving some large files.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, help me out, folks. Here's a picture of the possibly dead fuel pump installed

Is that correct? Large line from the tank to the pump, smaller line up to the engine. The wire that's grounded to the pump mount goes to the negative line and the one that isn't is positive?

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,032 Posts
One of the first things I did on my '69 way back was replace that little add-on fuel pump single fuse box for a first-class in-line fuse holder (under the dash). Articles from the era cited that as a prime culprit for fuel pump mal (not ) operation. Never had a fuse problem since. Pump problems, yes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts