Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure there are threads on this, but I can't find them. So here's the problem main fuel pump runs when key turned to second position, I think it floods the engine unless started right away. What cause's this? Driver relay, AFM?
Bob Ferguson
87 Spider Quad

·
Administrator
17,242 Posts
The fuel pumps are (supposed to...) be controlled by the drive relay. When you first switch the ignition to 'on' the pumps should energize briefly then stop running. When the engine is turning (during either cranking or running) and the igntion is firing, the drive relay gets a pulsing signal from a wire connected to the coil. That pulsing signal is what tells the drive relay to send power to the pumps.

How long have you owned your Spider? I've read about PO's 'fixing' a problem by bypassing the drive relay (thus the pumps run whenever the key is 'on').

Anyway, I think that having the pumps running without starting the engine right away shouldn't flood the engine unless the injectors are defective. One other thing to check is the fuel return line. Maybe if that is blocked the pressure in the fuel rail is too high?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought Spider this spring, and it needed alot of maintenance, but body is in good condition. I'm driving it this summer, and getting to know it,(fun auto). I'll go thru fuel system, suspension, drive shaft, etc. this winter. Changed engine mounts, waterpump, tires, starter (with special bolt) all intake hose's, all fluids, and new top. I really like the rear zip down window. Need a outside mirror adjust switch, get alot of no longer made.
Bob Ferguson

1 - 3 of 3 Posts