Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Alfa Friends:

Well the prior owner made a mess of my Monti's wiring. And I am left to complete the puzzle.

Today's puzzle - wires under the spare tire . First, I assume these are for the (2) fuel pumps. Please confirm.

Secondly, the wire to the left begins red and then prior owner connected blue wire with any eyelet that I assume is destined for the battery itself. Positive terminal?

The wire to the right is all black and I assume also goes to battery. Negative terminal?

Best to check with the experts before I make an improper connection on an electrical device adjoined to a fuel tank!

Please confirm that leftmost wire in this image goes to positive, and the black goes to negative. Or kindly advise proper connections.

And yes I am in process of obtaining Taylor's Bible.

Thank you,

Jamison

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hi Jamison,

None of the wiring in your photo appears to be the original Montreal fuel pump wiring and none of it is part on the original factory wiring harness. It all appears to be added wiring by someone.

The original twin electric fuel pump wiring is a Pink power wire for one pump and a Pink/Black wire for the second pump. The pumps ground to the chassis with Black ground wires to the pump mounting bracket. The original fuel pump wiring feeds through the trunk floor near the right rear shock upper mount.

Jeff

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I have an update.

I connected the red wire (which is connected to a blue) to the positive terminal.

When I subsequently touch the black wire to the negative terminal, I hear bubbling in the gas tank! This device and wire, albeit not original, is definitely for the fuel pumps.

But I find it strange that the fuel pump would engage even when key is not in ignition. To me the fuel pump should not engage unless the key is in ignition and turned.

So should I connect this black wire to the negative terminal or not?

Also, where have others sourced fuses for the Montreal?

Strange.

Jamison

·
Registered
127 Posts
The fuel pumps must be on a switched circuit to the ignition and should not be wired directly to the battery.

I would highly recommend wiring the pumps back to the original wiring diagram.

Check the wiring diagrams here

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The fuel pumps must be on a switched circuit to the ignition and should not be wired directly to the battery.

I would highly recommend wiring the pumps back to the original wiring diagram.

Check the wiring diagrams here

Do believe you are absolutely correct. Appears that the fuel pump wire and ground pass through 2 "Connectors". "Connector" identified as #4 in the wiring diagram. What does these look like and where located?

·
Registered
127 Posts

Here is the original fuel pump wiring and plugs #4 for the Pink and Pink/Black wiring near the right upper rear shock mount

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
An Update on my fuel pump project.

The mystery black small electrical device situated under my spare tire is a Bosch relay 0 332 209 150.

Additionally, I discovered that for the fuel pump wires that are pink and pink and black striped, only the pink and black striped goes into one of the two holes shown in mtbjeff's picture.

The relay must be related to the fuel pumps due to the fact that, as mentioned in prior posting, when I direct connect the Bosch relay wires to the battery, gas is pumped from the tank. I suppose the PO connected the fuel pumps wires through a relay in some manner? Has anyone seen this done before?

I guess the big question is where to go from here. I suppose I need to:

a) determine how to reconnect the pink wire to the proper fuel pump (any guidance appreciated), and
b) still determine how and where to connect the relay wires

Ideally c) get her started and running again!

Thank you

·
Registered
127 Posts
An Update on my fuel pump project.

The mystery black small electrical device situated under my spare tire is a Bosch relay 0 332 209 150.

Additionally, I discovered that for the fuel pump wires that are pink and pink and black striped, only the pink and black striped goes into one of the two holes shown in mtbjeff's picture.

The relay must be related to the fuel pumps due to the fact that, as mentioned in prior posting, when I direct connect the Bosch relay wires to the battery, gas is pumped from the tank. I suppose the PO connected the fuel pumps wires through a relay in some manner? Has anyone seen this done before?

I guess the big question is where to go from here. I suppose I need to:

a) determine how to reconnect the pink wire to the proper fuel pump (any guidance appreciated), and
b) still determine how and where to connect the relay wires

Ideally c) get her started and running again!

Thank you
The black relay is not part of the original wiring and was added by someone, the decision you need to make are you going to keep it or remove it. If you decided to keep you will need to reverse engineer all of the wiring to it from the original wiring and determine why they installed it.

If you want to go back to the original wiring for the fuel pumps you are going to need to locate the Pink wire coming from the number 2 fuse of the right side fuse box and the Pink/Black wire coming from fuse 1 of the right side fuse box. These are the + positive power wires should run directly from the fuse box to each pump with no relays installed. The fuel pumps should each have a black ground wire from the - negative side of the pump to the body on the fuel pump mounting bracket.

Does your car have the Original 2 X Bosch fuel pumps 0 580 970 001 and what wires are going to each pump?

-Jeff

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
First I want to thank you for your support . I’ve been in a holding pattern until more information and guidance is obtained. I have the Taylor book on order, and was hoping for Forum insight as well. So thanks.

agree

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Agree Bosch relay is not OE. Question is why was it added? Surely a reason, and I was hoping other forum members my know. Since Bosch relay could they have replaced with Bosch L-Jet? IDK if original fuel pumps - unsure how to access. But I’d like to return to original wiring configuration unless there is an advantage or safety matter .

I’ve taken an image of the fuel pump wires (after cleaning off Much rubberized gunk from all wires!! ). Seems black and pink wire does not travel down appropriate hole. Pink and Pink/Black wires attached to fuse box per wiring diagram. Should I hear pump engage when key is turned?

So where to go from here? I guess I need to access fuel pumps and restore that bulk/pink wire . Uncertain how to do that but I’m hopeful Taylor bible and forum can guide me.

Any guidance welcomed!

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts

The 2 stock fuel pumps will look like this and are bolted under the car by the right rear tire. You should verify if you have a pair like this or if someone has possibly installed a single fuel pump. If you have a single pump, I would recommend checking the fuel pressure to make sure it’s between 26-30psi.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Please see image. Definitely single, aftermarket pump. Given the aforementioned Bosch relay, I suspect this is Bosch L-Jet type fuel pump.

My thinking is this - let me know if suggest otherwise . Connect the red of the two relay wires (In trunk from under spare tire locale per prior pic) to the original pink and black wire . Other Black wire from relay to negative battery terminal.
Posted another pic of passenger side rear section by tire well.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
On second thought, wires from relay direct connect to battery. That must have been how PO connected, and explains the small circular eyelets from wires emanating from relay, as well as their long length to reach to battery.

Recall that the pink wire is already connected to the newer single pump. So connecting to Blk/Pink wire definitely not correct approach.

Unless there is a strong indication otherwise, I’m going for relay wires to battery

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts
Here are a some this items that I would recommend for safety.

The Bosch L jetronic type fuel pump you are using typically puts out over 40 psi of fuel presser. The Spica Fuel Injection Pump on the engine is designed for a input presser max of 26psi or 1.85 kg/cm2. You will need a additional adjustable fuel presser regulator to bring the presser down to 26 psi. The fuel presser must be checked when you get the electric fuel pump working.

Remount your single fuel pump in a more protected location, Preferably where the stock factory pumps are located and rout all wiring in the trunk area where the stock fuel pump wiring goes through the trunk floor. Having your fuel pump wiring in the spare tire location is not a good idea.

Replace all your old fuel lines since some appear very old, Montreal's are well know for fuel fires in the rear of the car.

Replace or inspect fuel tank fuel filter that is located inside the fuel tank, remove the 6 nut plate at the bottom of the fuel tank for access to the filter.

Replace the fuel filter cartage in the engine compartment.

I would highly recommend inspecting the fuel tank for rust or dirt. If contaminated I would clean thoroughly, a radiator shop can sometimes soak the fuel tank in a cleaning bath. Rust or dirt contamination to the Spica Fuel injection system can cost thousands of dollars to repair and take months to have rebuilt.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts