Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm finally planning on replacing the fuel pump on the spider with a modern Bosch unit. John Stewart's guide seems to cover most everything, but doesn't mention what to do with the hose that connects to the pressure relief valve. What have you all done with that one?

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
That line is removed completely and the "T" in the return line either removed or the not-used fitting capped. That said, cars that had the old 3-port OEM pump did not have PRVs in the front fuel filter. Be advised if you sub a 2 port pump for the 3 port pump, you won't have 17 psi PRV protection unless you retrofit a PRV type front fuel filter from an earlier or later model. There is an internal PRV in the 2 port pumps, but it's at much higher pressure. Therefor, I recommend that you check the fuel pressure with a gauge and "dial in" the pressure with the restrictor in the injection pump front fuel fitting. I would also be on the lookout on ebay for a PRV-type front fuel filter.

An inexpensive diagnostic fuel pressure gauge can be fabricated with a short piece of fuel line, a "T" fitting, and a small fuel pressure gauge from a local autoparts store. Put mine together for less than $20 in parts, including the pressure gauge.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts