Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I have a 91 164S and was wondering where the fuel pump relay is located? It has a hard time starting and Ive heard that either the relay has gone bad or the fuel line from the fuel pump to the gas tank is bad. Ive already replaced the fuel rail lines in the engine compartment and it seemed to help a little with the starting.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
Under black plastic cover on top radiator support/coil bracket. red stripe relay is for Motronic ECU and other one (non-red stripe) is for fuel pump.

Highly unlikely relay is bad but to test fuel pump and starting problem pull relay and jump socket 87 to 30 turn on key and hear fuel pump run. See if it starts any better if not and pump running run a pressure and flow check of pump. If fuel rail will not hold pressure the hose in tank top and or check valve in pump bad.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Under black plastic cover on top radiator support/coil bracket. red stripe relay is for Motronic ECU and other one (non-red stripe) is for fuel pump.

Highly unlikely relay is bad but to test fuel pump and starting problem pull relay and jump socket 87 to 30 turn on key and hear fuel pump run. See if it starts any better if not and pump running run a pressure and flow check of pump. If fuel rail will not hold pressure the hose in tank top and or check valve in pump bad.
Oops!!

I had a fuel supply problem that was intermitant and couldn't locate problem.

So I replaced the fuel pump, filter and relay. But I replaced th RED STRIPED relay, not the other one. Did I do a boo-boo?

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
Not really because red stripe relay sends power to both motronic ECU and fuel pump relay so if it was bad then the fuel pump relay coil would not get power to energize either.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I had a fuel problem on my car back late last fall and it turned out to be the relay mounted on the radiator. The relay itself was good but the connectors had gotten dirty and needed to be cleaned - both the ones on the relay and the ones on the mounting bracket. The engine compartment is not a good place to locate sensitive electronic parts. Basically, when I have my mechanic perform my yearly maintenance items, he goes through the engine compartment relays and looks them over to make sure the contacts are still clean and functioning. This helps out with future problems such as this one.

I hope this helps and good luck,

Jeff
Dallas, Texas
1994 LS

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
found the problem.....

So, after testing out the fuel pump we determined that it has gone bad! So, Ive called some vendors and prices range from $175 to $250... :mad: Can aynone give me some reccomendations as to where I can get a fuel pump cheaper?

I also checked the A/C system and dtermined that the expansion valve has gone bad so luckily found one new... This part was very hard to find.

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How funny Steve, I purchased this item as you responded to this post! This was a smoking deal! :D I didnt know that bosch and AC Delco worked together? Thanks for looking though!! Alfisti need to stick together :cool:

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
Good info to know and thanks for the recommendation. Do auot parts stores carry gates or can you only order through their website?
Auto parts stores should carry it as Chazzy got his through O'Reilly's parts store he said in his post with picture of hose and part number I linked you to above.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts