Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 67 Stepnose that is relatively new to me. The mechanical pump was replaced by the PO with an electric fuel pump. The pump turns on when the key is turned on..... starts pumping fast, slows down as it builds up pressure but never totally stops pumping before the car is started (basically forever). Is this normal? Is there a return line to the tank or something that bleeds the pressure off. I'm chasing fueling problems and it never occurred to me that the pump might be the problem. Any insight would be appreciated. Thx

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,068 Posts
Yes, pump should run continuously with ignition on. For a carb'd car needs to be a low pressure pump such that pressure does not exceed 3 PSI if the pump is dead-headed. Often this requires an inline fuel pressure regulator.

No return line is needed. What pump do you have and how exactly is it set up?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response and great question! I'm not sure? I do have a regulator set to 3.5 psi. I will do some investigating tomorrow to see what the set-up is as I suspected that maybe the pump was responsible for my fueling issues. I'm not going to lie, I was hoping it was the pump!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Make sure you've got a good, see-though fuel filter.
You'd be surprised how much gunk they filter out.
Vintage gas tanks often have issues as you probably know.
Webers or Dellortos work great until junk plugs up the tiny orifices.
Check electrical connections and grounds.
Fuel systems, like other systems, are only as good as the weakest link.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts