Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Montreal (1974) was not in operation for many years and so I have some problems at the time.
One of the current problems: When I wanted to start a few days ago my car was, yet it seems the tank is empty and the fuel pump worked very loud. As I now fills in gasoline, it was found that the pumps further are very noisy and the fuel pressure light flickers. The engine starts very late and heavy.
Did any of you have a tip for me, what can be the problem?

best Wishes from Austria
Horst

·
Registered
13 Posts
Fuel pump problems.

Hello Horstk,
If your Montreal has not been used for many years there may be many problems!
Try removing the fuel filter located in the bottom of the fuel tank and replacing
with new- I think AMS have these or Classic Alfa here in UK. Next check that
there is electrical supply to both pumps. The earth connection for the fuel pumps is often a problem and I usually renew the earth cables and extend them
to make an earth connection inside the luggage compartment, where they can be more easily inspected and they are in a drier environment. Check also the
fuel filter in the engine bay.

Make sure that the earth connection from battery neg. to body is as good as possible and also the pos. battery connection. You may also find that replacing the spark plugs with Bosch WR56 will help.

Best regards and good luck.

Robert.

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
The most likely cause is that your fuel filters are clogged from old gas. Unfortunately you must drain the fuel tank to change the tank filter and also check the calibrated orifice in the filter flange (see page 85 & 86 in Bruce Taylor"s "Montreal The Essential Companion").You must also change The inline filter at the tank ( if present) and the main fuel filter under the hood.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello Rob, Hello Kerry!

Thank you for your quick response. I will carry your suggestions and hopefully solve this problem.

Best regards
Horst

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi, I am novice with Montreal, my bad working Monti has many problems. I found that there is only one fuel pump and only one blind tube. One pump gives 0,5 bar but I must change all filters because it stands for 4 years.
Can anybody post here the correct connection of all tubes in pumps? I need better angle that the picture on the top.
Thank you!

·
Push hard and live
9,315 Posts
Rozu,

We need to know more about your "one pump" before providing meaningful guidance. Although the Montreal originally used two pumps, it is not uncommon for these to be replaced by a single pump. There are kits to do this. However, it is equally likely that you have a poor replacement and badly messed up plumbing.

Can you take pictures of what you have, and any markings on the pump.

Note.... it is important that your pump(s) have sufficient flow and pressure to support the return flow from the Spica back to the tank. It is important that the entire circulation system be installed.

·
Premium Member
2,610 Posts
My fuel light was on all the time. Need a pretty powerful single pump to replace 2 30 lb. pumps.
There is a single kit out there Georgio.
Since my car is so stinking original I went with the original setup.
Parts are here!
OKP Parts and Engineering GmbH
Don't know if this is a better picture or not?
DAPUMPS@.jpg

·
Push hard and live
9,315 Posts
Rozu,

Fuel pumps are a consumable item. Many internal elements wear and fail, plus the other issues such as corrosion on electrical connections, plugged filters, and swollen hoses that can restrict flow.

Given the age of your original components, there is a good likelihood that you should simply replace the entire fuel feed system. Yes, it may be that you can get your pressures back up, and drive for awhile, but there's a good chance of near-team failure.

By the way, the pressure sender can fail. I had a persistent low pressure light even after addressing many components in the fuel supply. I removed the sender and found the inlet plugged with metal "dust" and other trash. A new sender resulted in a quick and reliable confirmation of correct pressure.

Where and how are you measuring your pressure? It must be read only after the main fuel filter, and via a "tee" fitting. You must not measure the pressure via a dead-head connection.

·
Push hard and live
9,315 Posts
Thank you, I added a manometer behind main fuel filter by "T" fitting. it shows 0,5 bar.
This is roughly 1/3 of the correct value.

Checks...

Make sure all filters are fresh. Remember the in-tank filter.

While power is on, pull the connection from each pump, one at a time. If you discover a dead pump, confirm it is receiving power, and repair if necessary. Be sure to check both fuses.

If both pumps are operating, confirm all of the hoses are connected correctly. There is a diagram in the service manual.

Visually inspect the calibrated orifice, which is mounted in the tank in the fitting that connects the return line from the Spica pump. If the orifice is missing entirely, it can cause low pressure.

If all of the system checks are ok, you need new pumps. Or, one replacement such as Giorgio offers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts