Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GTV6 has eaten two new Bosch fuel pumps. I think that the failures were caused by a kink in the supply hose to the pump which starved it of fuel and made it overheat. The fuel line routing is tortuous. It makes a U turn just before the pump and that is where mine kinked. Has anyone found a good alternative route for this hose or an alternative location for the fuel pump that makes the fuel line route more straightforward.

Should I buy some particular type of 12mm or 1/2" fuel hose to replace the existing one?

Thanks.

·
Administrator
17,464 Posts
Two ways to eliminate the kink in the hose: 1) put a U-shaped metal fitting in line with the rubber fuel line. (dis-advantage is two extra connections/hose clamps/potential leak source. Or B) swap the positions of the fuel filter & fuel pump & re-route the hoses (dis-advantage is you'll need to get a little creative & think about exactly how to do it).

As for proper hose - get FI rated hose. I suspect all hose sold now-a-days is ethanol compatable (but make sure you don't get some dusty old hose off the back shelf that ethanol will dissolve). Also use proper FI hose clamps - not hardware store worm screw type.

·
Premium Member
14,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got a mechanic at work to bend a piece of 1/2" stainless tube into a U. Hopefully that will do the trick.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
You can also route standard 1/2 fuel hose around the front trans crossmember. It doesn't kink, and if you are careful it avoids sharp edges. Hose length is significantly longer though.

I cant recal the exact routing, but it is possible.

That being said, I will buy Greg's kit when the car goes back together. The formed hose wasn't available last time.

Mark

·
Premium Member
14,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will check out that alternative route. Thank you.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Ed,

What did you end up doing for this? I just replaced my 12mm hose (with the stuff from IAP) this weekend as the original type hose sprung a leak and now I can here the fuel pump struggling to get the fuel past the kink.

Just pinged Greg to see if he has his solution in stock but wanted to see if whatever you did worked.

Thanks,
Kevin

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
I re-routed using standard off the shelf hose(autozone). No U turns. tank to filter to pump to black tubing.

Also used several of those Blue painted ebay pumps without issue

·
Premium Member
14,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ed,

What did you end up doing for this?
You are testing my memory. I think that I bought some thick walled fuel hose and made a wide bend in it and let it hang out a bit and secured it with zip ties. Not very elegant.

My pump problems were due to scale in the gas tank. I first installed a strainer up stream from the pump and I later replaced the tank.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
I re-routed using standard off the shelf hose(autozone). No U turns. tank to filter to pump to black tubing.

Also used several of those Blue painted ebay pumps without issue
Did you move brackets or just flip stuff around in the existing brackets or just leave the pump and filter in original place?

Kevin

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
IIRC: flipped around pump, used same bracket, smooth hose clamps from autozone, and supported the filter as needed

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
IIRC: flipped around pump, used same bracket, smooth hose clamps from autozone, and supported the filter as needed
Wouldn't you still need a 180 degree bend for the smaller fuel pump hose or was that just a non issue as it was only an 8mm hose?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts