Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a late model (European import) GT Jr. 1600. I recently adjusted my valve clearances, and after I finished, the car just wouldn't start. I checked the timing of my cams again, checked for spark, replaced the plugs just in case, but still the car wouldn't start. The plugs smelled of fuel, so I thought I was getting gas. When I pulled the fuel line leading to the carbs and cranked the engine, however, I got no fuel flowing at all.

I am assuming my fuel pump (mechanical) is dead. I know what you're going to ask, "did the car run before you adjusted your clearances?" Well, it ran when I parked it about a month ago, but I didn't start it before adjusting my cams, so I don't know if it would have run or not.

Two questions -- first, does my diagnosis sound right? Second, am I better off repairing/replacing the mechanical pump or buying an electric pump? IAP sells an electric pump for about $100. My concern is that if I got into an accident, it wouldn't cut off the fuel. Any thoughts?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
13,697 Posts
I would double check the valve timing to make sure that you don't have the cams out by 180 degrees. Get the engine to TDC, compression stroke on #1 cylinder. The rotor arm in the distributor should be pointing towards the wire that goes to #1 cylinder. The cam timing marks should be lined up and the cam lobes should be pointing away from the pistons.

I would be surprised if the mechanical pump has failed. I was under the impression that they are very reliable. But if your's is dead, why not replace it with another mechanical one. I expect that Highwood Alfa, Classic Alfa, Alfaholics or EB Spares, all in the UK, would have one.
Ed Prytherch

·
Premium Member
21,463 Posts
This car has a mechanical fuel pump.

After confirming the cams are timed right, I would confirm that you're getting spark to the plugs with a timing light or by turning the engine over with one of the plugs out but connected and grounded to the head. If you have spark, then think about fuel problems.

I'd pull off the top of one of the Webers, which only takes a minute, and see if the float bowl is full. Then I'd check that you have gas in the tank, and that the fuel lines are clear (blow with air) and that there are no vacuum leaks in the fuel lines. After sitting a month, it just might take a bit of time for the fuel pump to pull fuel from the tank. After checking all that, then I'd think about the fuel pump being bad. I never had a mechanical fuel pump go bad, though I'm sure they must.

Andrew

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Purchased a mechanical fuel pump from IAP after confirming everything else was in order. Now the question is, where the heck does the rod go? The pump I bought shows a sort of curved lever. My previous pump was actuated by a straight rod. I think it fit into the top of two holes in the side of the engine, but I'm not 100% sure. Any guidance?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe it's electrical after all??

I've still not been able to get my engine started. I checked and rechecked the cams, and they are lined up perfectly, on TDC, compression stroke, both lobes pointing out, and rotor pointing to piston #1.

I've checked the spark a few times, and its there but doesn't seem very strong. I replaced the plugs, but that didn't help. Today I checked the ignition timing (or at least that's what I tried to do -- I'm not so mechanically inclined so there's always a good chance I'm doing something wrong).

I rotated the engine forward to "F" on the compression stroke. When I attached a test light between the terminal under the distributor (Marelli), the light was on. I loosened the distributor and rotated it a bit, and the light stayed on. I then removed the cap and turned the rotor a little, closing the gap completely (I could see it make contact) and the light stayed on. I tried connecting the test light to the terminal going back into the coil, but that didn't change anything. The light stayed on.

Are my points bad? I'll replace them anyway, once I find a store that carries them. I guess I should just replace the cap, rotor, and wires while I'm at it. They've been on there for a long time and the rotor is definitely showing wear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts