Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i got a 75 alpha spider shes a good looking gem hasent started in 20 years of course she's going to have fuel issues, what is a good pump to use? I have no boost pump, and I have a three outlit pump. I read in my net research that using a two inlet (suck & blow) with a pump with a bult in prv valve that i cap off one line witch one is it? theres all kinds of pumps out there what pumps worked best for you? I went ahead and changed everything plugs cap rotors belts fuel lines, i cheked out the fuel decender unit she was frozen cleaned it up drained fuel resealed gas tank, fuel pump is hit or miss so it needs to be replaced, the good side is for not starting in a while she starts right up, is there a way to rebuild the fuel pump? so so many questions thanks for the help and advice.

pss servicing the spica pump is a pain in the azz.

·
Push hard and live
9,635 Posts
1. Alfa, not Alpha.
2. If you use a later two-port pump, you will generally also need an external pressure regulator to provide the right pressure to the Spica pump on the engine.
3. Before going any further, contact Ingram Enterprises and buy his book on maintaining the Spica system.
4. What is fuel "decender"?
5. Fuel pumps are consumables. Trying to rebuild one will end up costing more money and time than buying a new one. Again - read Ingram's book to help you make your decisions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will do thanks for the help do you have any leads to where I can get a 3 port pump? For a 30 and some year pump to still be intermediately working is pretty good. Also sorry for the wrong spelling of alfa and ment fuel sending unit.

·
Push hard and live
9,635 Posts
A two port pump from a later L-jet car can be had for around $100 or so. An adjustable three port regulator from Summit Racing is around $125 - $150, I think.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Can anyone povide the L-jet part number that will work with my 71 SPICA 1750 spider. My pump crapped out with less than 10K. luckily I had an original equipment pump off a parts car that still works. I just don't know for how long.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Replaced the after market pump with an OEM pump I salvaged of a 73 spider. Had to dismantle the pump and clean out the gunk in the drive gears and regrease but it works extremely well. In fact the car is running much better than it ever did on the new pump. I suspect that the pressure delivered by the new pump was not up to snuff. I especially notice difference when decelerating. The car use to nose dive upon deceleration but now slows smoothly. Just a note--- I had sealed and rebored the recirculation outlet on the filter housing as reccomended for the new pump. Perhaps this hole was missized? Regardless she is now running great. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts