Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,

So had the Sedan out last Saturday for an aggressive mountain drive. Performed great! However, when restarting after taking a break after some heavy running I hear a lot of fuel pump noise. On the way down we did about 16 miles wihtout stopping of very tight canyon roads and pulled off when we reached the bottom. Upon restarting, the fuel pump pressure light stayed on after the engine lit for almos 10 seconds and the car didn't run right until it went out.

Anyone have this issue? Is the thing getting overheated from the hard running? Should I worry about it failing?

Thanks for any informed advice. Going on a 2 day rally in a few weeks and want to be sure I am ready.

·
Administrator
16,985 Posts
Just making a guess - is the tank properly vented? Different models have different venting systems (which model do you have?). If the tank is not venting a slight vacuum will develop as fuel is pumped up to the engine and then the fuel pump will struggle to work against this vacuum.

Try removing the gas cap right after a drive. If there is a noticeable inrush of air I'd investigate the tank venting.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@ghnl its a 78 sport sedan. Will have to look into the venting. One other thing: it also had a STRONG gas smell after letting the car sit for lunch. I checked under the hood to make sure no leaks there and it didn’t resurface later. Maybe something weird is going on there with the venting.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,472 Posts
There is a known issue (on the Milano, at least, so I suspect the Sport Sedan too?) with fuel in the lines vaporizing from heat.

The fix for this on the Milano is to insulate the exhaust or the fuel line where they pass close to each other at the rear of the car.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Check in the trunk for loose vent hoses etc around the vent hoses. Tighten every clamp you see.

My guess is your fuel pump is dying. If it's the original one with 3 pipes on it, it may also be leaking.
I converted mine to the 2 fitting one. There's instructions around here somewhere.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So bumping this back up as I get ready for another rally next weekend, this time a 2-dayer and will drive probably 1000 miles.

I dusted the car off and ran it aorund today, no problems. Did hear pumping noises from the rear upon restarting. Upon returning home, I shut it down and then just turned the key on. heard normalish pump whirring but then got out and listened for noises. In the rear under the car, i heard what sounded like almost static on a radio or posssibly sucking sounds.

dieing pump? Thinking I might want to bring a spare on this trip. Car runs great and starts easily though. I think imight have a weakening pump combined wiht fuel vaprorization when the car is really hot on a canyon downhill.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What do you know, someone has recorded the very sound and put it on youtube.

@monturacer3 - assume this is you? I think I follow you on insta. Can you comment as to what if any tourbleshooting you did to fix this? thanks.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Paul, if you have the original 3 port pump on there, you're running on borrowed time.

·
Registered
133 Posts
What do you know, someone has recorded the very sound and put it on youtube.

@monturacer3 - assume this is you? I think I follow you on insta. Can you comment as to what if any tourbleshooting you did to fix this? thanks.

Yep that's me! There were two main problems causing this noise.

1- When I got the car it had sat for 10+ years with bad gas in the entire system (was never stored properly. Just parked and forgotten about). One of the issues is that the gas was never treated before storage and gelled up in the bottom of the tank causing the pickup to become clogged. This made the pump work harder to pickup fuel and caused the surging noises and low fuel pressure warning light to flicker every now and then. I had the tank acid dipped and cleaned out, but that didn't clear out the small pickup tube in the bottom of the tank. I had to clear it out by hand.

2. The replacement fuel pump I had installed was a cheapo chineseium pump off fleabay. It worked alright for a while, but ended up not supplying adequate flow. Also driving hard through the canyons low on gas heated up the fuel faster and overheated the pump. I got a Bosch replacement pump from Centerline to replace the one in the video. Tested for pressure and flow and was all above recommended spec.

Hope this helped!

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
Clogged filters change them. Especially the one up front. Make the pump work harder to maintain the gas flow

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
I have a '81 GTV6, so I am not sure of the pump/filter layout of the Alfetta (the original seems to be laid out like that of a D-Jetronic Porsche 914).

In the GTV6, there is a pickup screen in the tank, and from there the fuel goes straight to the fuel pump inlet, and then through the fuel filter. My junkyard special had a lot of rust in the tank, but it is very difficult to get a fuel tank cleaned out properly in CA due to environmental regulations (not sure where @monturacer3 got this done). So, I drained out as much of the crap as I could, and installed an extra fuel filter between the tank and pump. I ran the car around town until the pump would get slightly noisy, then would clean out the filter and pump inlet. Rinse and repeat a few times, and once all was clear, installed a NOS fuel tank screen and it has been good for 20K+ miles and 3 years of being daily driven.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks @monturacer3 and @cda951 . I bought a cheap fuel pump off Amazon for the rally I did but it never needed it. Drove the car very hard for 2 days and covered 1000 miles but it never missed a beat.

in the noises it makes, the noise is very much like the YouTube video and if I squeeze the supply line and restrict it, the noise gets louder. So I’m pretty sure it’s a restricted supply issue and I’ll report back after I change the filters. Hopefully it’s just that.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Thanks @monturacer3 and @cda951 . I bought a cheap fuel pump off Amazon for the rally I did but it never needed it. Drove the car very hard for 2 days and covered 1000 miles but it never missed a beat.

in the noises it makes, the noise is very much like the YouTube video and if I squeeze the supply line and restrict it, the noise gets louder. So I’m pretty sure it’s a restricted supply issue and I’ll report back after I change the filters. Hopefully it’s just that.
The issue could just be the filter between the tank and the pump. They tend to clog up especially if there is debris in the tank from years of use or sitting for long long periods of time.

@cda951 There’s a place named L&M stripping in Van Nuys that I took my tank to that dips all sorts of things from gas tanks to entire chassis’ to strip them down. Reasonably priced too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts