Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
My wife has a 1987/88 2.5L auto, Australian delivered. It has an intermittent problem. Usually, when you turn the key to the run position before starting, you can hear the fuel pump start, and the fuel, temp and oil gauges all jump to life. In this position all the electrics work. Sometimes however, the gauges don't come to life, the fuel pump doesn't start, and the Alfa Control Centre (in-dash diagnostic computer thing...), windscreen wipers and indicators don't work. Head lights do still work, and starter motor will still turn when you turn the key to the start position, but obviously it just turns and turns as there is no fuel pressure.

My guess is it is a sticky relay somewhere, but I don't know which one, and I don't have a good circuit diagram. The previous owner had a piece of wire that ran from the positive terminal of the battery to the positive terminal of the coil as a workaround, but I've had so little trouble with it until now I removed that as it seemed a pretty dodgy way of making things work. Anyway, I would like to fix this properly. Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Reuben

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,477 Posts
So the gauges, wipers, & indicators aren't behind a relay, unless the PO did some sort of a mod. They're just powered off of the switched side of the fusebox, which is powered via the ignition switch.

So if you're turning the key to "on" and the gauges aren't lighting up, the most likely culprit is that you've got a dodgy ignition switch.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, cool.
Sounds like something I can fix relatively easily then. Thanks for the help.
Cheers,
Reuben

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK...
I just want to make sure I haven't missed something here...
There are three wires that go to the ignition barrel. A red one, a black one and a brown one. Red carries 12V to the switch. Brown carries 12v out of the switch to the fuse box when in the run position. Black carries 12v out of the switch to the starter solenoid. Is that correct? Currently when I run a multimeter across the ignition switch, I get continuity from red to black when the key is turned to the start position, but there is no continuity from red to brown, and nor is there continuity from red to brown in the run position. Now, unless I'm missing something, that means my ignition switch is knackered, yes? I can get a replacement relatively cheaply, so it seems almost too easy (for an Alfa :wink2: )
Cheers,
Reuben

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just thought I'd close this thread by saying I replaced the ignition switch, and so far no further problems.

Interestingly, there must've been 2 different ignition barrels for 75's, as the new one I got isn't a perfect fit. The threaded hole that holds it into the steering column doesn't line up with the hole in the steering column casting, so it's sitting in there loose. It also had an extra electrical spade on one side of it that the old one didn't. Still, it's in there and functioning, so I'm not complaining.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm happy you have resolved your problem. I had a similar but slightly different intermittent problem I couldn't resolve for a while. Eventually got it but it was not immediately obvious.

My 75 TS has three cables coming from the ignition switch (red, black and brown) but just after the plug there are four wires. A slightly smaller gauge green wire (or maybe green/black - I can't remember sorry) is attached to the brown wire and goes direct to the ignition relays (four relays in the engine bay for the TS) feeding juice to them with ignition. My wire was just on the point of dying and sometimes couldn't provide enough to run the fuel pumps hence no start or sometimes it would stall at idle.

Once I replaced the green wire everything has been fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts