Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fuel pump seems to have failed. I’m confused about where to start.

My car is a ‘76 US car, ex-SPICA converted to Dellortos. I’m pretty sure the fuel pump is electric because I hear it ticking whenever I start the car, until yesterday when she gently rolled to a stop on the freeway. But the forum threads I found by searching refer to mechanical pumps.

So, first thing’s first — is it weird that I have an electric pump, and where is it?

·
Registered
7,286 Posts
all european carburettored cars would have had a mechanical fuel pump, yes.

Yours is converted from spica FI to carbs and they obviously used an electric pump.......now, where that person put it, is anyones guess, but generally somewhere close to the tank, most likely underneath the car. Or in the trunk perhaps.

if you find it, try give it a gentle whack! sometimes they start up again!

It is probably on a fused circuit, might even have a relay...either of these might also be the trouble, but you'll have to search for the pump and then follow the wires.

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
Hi there, it likely has the fuel pump in its original location from FI days. Under the car, right hand side, just ahead of the rear axle. Should be fairly straight forward to find out if you have power there. If you can find any info about troubleshooting Spica fuel delivery, it would likely help in this situation. There may also be an inertia switch on the firewall in the engine bay, right hand side, grey, cylindrical with a button on the top. That was used to cut the power to the pump in an accident but can be tripped going over road imperfections. My button is taped down. Your car may also have a fuel pressure regulator in the engine bay that was added when converting from FI to carbs as the FI operating pressure is too much compared to carb operating pressure.

Cheers,

·
Registered
7,286 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1 - 6 of 6 Posts