Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back I had purchased a 1991 164 3.0 V6 that had sat in the previous owner's garage for roughly 9 years. One of the first thing I had done to it was redo everything that is fuel-related: fuel pump, fuel filter, had the tank dropped in a vat, etc.

Currently I am cleaning off all the corrosion and rust on the fuel pump assembly. My current problem at the moment is the wiring that passes through the assembly plate down to the pump (one of the wires broke when I was cleaning, but no matter, I was going to replace it anyway). I want to replace the wiring, but I'm timid on how to properly remove the two caps from the topside so i can pass through new wiring. The caps turn in place; not sure if its threaded through or not. I tried gentle prying, but got nothing, and dont want to risk breaking them. Or, do they even come off??

Any advise or pointers? I once had a mechanics manual but it's long lost. Maybe there's another thread here I can be directed to?
Any help is appreciated :)

-Sfortuna

underside, where both wires come through
Underside where the two wires come through

Topside where the two wiring caps are Topside where the wiring "caps" are

·
Registered
171 Posts
Welcome to the forum! In the maintenance sticky at the top of this forum you can find 'Johns excellent fuel pump change guide' instructions: Alfa Romeo 164 In-Tank Fuel Pump Repair/Refurbishment

It doesn't mention working with the wires so doesn't answer your question at hand (and I unfortunately don't know the answer either) but since you mention you're working without a manual this may save you some time/headache in some other area, and help with parts ordering.

Hope this helps and good luck!

·
Premium Member
26,998 Posts
One way to repair broken wiring connector for 164 fuel pump in top of steel fuel tank cover requires drilling out center of terminal and installing small screw and nut through eye of wiring terminals ends.

Another way is completely drill out hole through cover and insert a new terminal assembly. Jason and I found them in Australia.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the forum! In the maintenance sticky at the top of this forum you can find 'Johns excellent fuel pump change guide' instructions: Alfa Romeo 164 In-Tank Fuel Pump Repair/Refurbishment

It doesn't mention working with the wires so doesn't answer your question at hand (and I unfortunately don't know the answer either) but since you mention you're working without a manual this may save you some time/headache in some other area, and help with parts ordering.

Hope this helps and good luck!
Yes, it doesn't provided me with an exact solution, but it does inform me of other things I will need to pay attention to. Thanks for sharing this! I'll spend more time getting famiiar with all the forum sections.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One way to repair broken wiring connector for 164 fuel pump in top of steel fuel tank cover requires drilling out center of terminal and installing small screw and nut through eye of wiring terminals ends.

Another way is completely drill out hole through cover and insert a new terminal assembly. Jason and I found them in Australia.

Your first suggestion might just be my best option. Maybe fashion proper-sized o-rings on each end too. I'll post later with results. Thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
personally the way I would do it would be to carefully drill out the old wire lugs and replace them with small bolts being very care full not to short them to the cover. as for sealing it back up you could get a small can of fuel tank sealer and libberally coat the bottom to bother prevent rust and seal the bolts or use something like this: Amazon.com: Permatex 80016 Form-A-Gasket #2 Sealant, 3 oz.: Automotive to seal the shank of the bolt to the plastic isolator

1 - 6 of 6 Posts