Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1750 GTV Serie 1 US specs 1969
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
been a while I wanted to post this. When I switch on the hazard flasher it works bu when on the off position then the fuel pumps starts....not sure it is right? Thanks for your inputs.....

GTV 1750 1969 US specs serie 1

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
That is not right. Has it always been like this? There must be a switch up of the wires at the little aux fuse box for the fuel pump with the hazard switch wires. You need to check those wires thoroughly against the wiring diagram.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is not right. Has it always been like this? There must be a switch up of the wires at the little aux fuse box for the fuel pump with the hazard switch wires. You need to check those wires thoroughly against the wiring diagram.
I will as indeed looks bizarre...
Sorry to ask but what/where is the little aux fuse box? I see the main one under the dashboard but is there another fusebox?
Thank you.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Not sure about the 1750, but on the USA 2L, there is a 2 fuse, fuse box next to the main box. Did this problem happen all of a sudden, or after some other repair fiddling? If the former, check for a ground problem. It's crazy how a bad ground can cause weird problems.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure about the 1750, but on the USA 2L, there is a 2 fuse, fuse box next to the main box. Did this problem happen all of a sudden, or after some other repair fiddling? If the former, check for a ground problem. It's crazy how a bad ground can cause weird problems.
More liklely the previous owner messed up. He installed next to the hazard switch another switch for the heater/fan (as the one on the dash wasn't working)...I will check for another fusebox on the electrical diagram (i doubt there is one).
Will report when I find something....in case for the others gtv lovers

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
This is what it looks like....

IMG_0319.JPG

I mounted mine on the opposite side of the main fuse box (unknowingly at the time I was trying to determine exactly where it was supposed to go I was not aware that the owner's manual showed exactly where)...oh well.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have checked and did find the additional fuse box. All wires looks good...will keep searching...

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
So then it must be the flasher switch wiring that is mixed up. I had that problem initially on mine when I reinstalled my new wiring harness....I swapped them around a few times till it worked correctly.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update: when ignition is off, then all works fine now ( some mix up in the wire). So I can switch on and off the hazard with no impact on the fuel pump.
With ignition on then hazard come on no matter what (so the fuel pump but norma as always the case when you turn on the ignition).

Could this be the switch? or a relay?

thanks

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Anything is possible, right? I mean, who knows what the previous guy messed with in years past. Do you have a wiring diagram? What happens if you simply disconnect all wiring to the hazard switch? Does the fuel pump run normally (pump runs with key on) now? I can't remember if that would have any effect on the turn signals. My guess would be to say NO. If all is good with the hazard wires disconnected, GREAT. Can you live with it that way? Answer these questions, and I will have more advice.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thank you so much for taking the time to get back on this.
To answer to you questions
Yes I do have the wiring diagram...did not help much as it looks fine ....
If I disconnect all wiring then all is fine. Fuel pumps goes on when ignition is on. No impact on signals, left and right works as normal.
Indeed I could live that way with everything disconnected...would be nice to solve the issue anyway....
Again thanks so much for your time. Very much appreciated!

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Good. Happy to help. Try this. Attach one wire at a time to hazard switch. Operate switch. When it begins to effect the fuel pump operation, follow the paths of the connected wires to determine what they could be effecting. The two tools that will help you with this problem are a VOM, and a POWER PROBE. At the fuel pump fuse, are there any other wires attached to the spade connectors? I believe that there should only be one, at each side. Power in - the fuse - and then the pink wire going to the pump.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good. Happy to help. Try this. Attach one wire at a time to hazard switch. Operate switch. When it begins to effect the fuel pump operation, follow the paths of the connected wires to determine what they could be effecting. The two tools that will help you with this problem are a VOM, and a POWER PROBE. At the fuel pump fuse, are there any other wires attached to the spade connectors? I believe that there should only be one, at each side. Power in - the fuse - and then the pink wire going to the pump.
Last update: I do have a PROBE. I have tested and one of the 3 cables that goes to the switch is linked to the fuel pump (strange). I have to deep dive under the dash to see where it goes....
more to come.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Last update: I do have a PROBE. I have tested and one of the 3 cables that goes to the switch is linked to the fuel pump (strange). I have to deep dive under the dash to see where it goes....
more to come.
It should be easy enough to find another 12v+ wire for that circuit.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
PM me, I’ll explain.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts