Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am investigating my no-start issue again. I am going to check fuel pressure by installing an in-line gauge (need to know the operating range? -up to 60 PSI?- I found a gauge 0-15 PSI, but figured this was too low of a range, so I am driving down to Summit Racing (1 hr away) to find something I can use that will be able to diagnose the pressure level.

and there are 2 (two) fuel filters?? one rear (near fuel pump) and one front? -have not seen this one?? and i have been through it completely AFAIK :):taz:

something another board member told me (via a call to discuss something nonrelated) was the fuel tank may need to be hot-tanked/cleaned?? something about the inner lining becoming "powdery" iirc(if car sits for a longtime-not sure if this was a problem; i got the car in inop condition), and it clogging a "pre-screen" filter or something like that? -depending on the cost of the "tank dip" would a "fuel cell" be something to consider? -I will shop/price when @Summit Racing today.

I know that is a bit involved... to ask again, what PSI (fuel) gauge is necessary for proper engine running?

Thanks ALL.
-Dennis
hope to get answer, will monitor thread via smartphone, en route soon.

·
Administrator
16,771 Posts
Regulated fuel pressure (in the fuel rail) is about mid 30's PSI. If the fuel pump is 'dead headed' (i.e. if you put the gauge into the fuel supply hose with no way out) it could be twice that or more. But the critical pressure is in the fuel rail as regulated by the Fuel Pressure Regulator.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks ghnl

got a 60 PSI gauge and all the goodies to go with. Hope no rain tomorrow.
If so, it will have to wait again.

Will use your shared links to run thru the whole diagnostics, AGAIN.
Have a good evening.

Dennis

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hello. How's the progress? Besides the filter next to the fuel pump, connected just after the fuel-pump out, there is also a screen inside the fuel tank, accessible from underneath, as part of the fitting/assembly that the main hose comes out from.

When I first got my gtv6 four years ago, I would get sandy junk going to the pump that coughed and stalled out the car so my mechanic added another filter before the pump. It still coughed occasionally, as the filter got clogged and would get periodic replacement. I finally got my fuel tank professionally restored and relined and the problem was completely resolved. While removing the tank, I discovered that the screen filter in the tank was clogged as well. It's a plastic mesh cylinder going vertically from the bottom of the tank that can be unscrewed after disconnecting the hose fitting. When removing mine, I accidentally broke the mesh and a good gallon or more gushed out, meaning it was restricting flow from the tank out to the hose when the tank got low. I ended up breaking open the mesh completely and keeping the opened screen in there instead of replacing it, due to having that 2nd filter installed before the pump.

The tank is fairly easy to remove, btw, if it comes down to wanting to get it restored.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts