Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! Brand new '78 Alfa Spider with SPICA owner here. My fuel pressure light is on steady and I've been looking at the diagnostic guide written by John Stewart. First things first; I can hear the fuel pump so I know that is running. I went ahead tonight and replaced the rear fuel filter (one of the first things John says to do) and that didn't resolve the issue. Next step; replace the main filter. Here is my first question; can anyone provide guidance about how to remove the main filter? Looks like there is a large intake air canister/filter over the top of the main fuel filter. Do I need to remove this canister before accessing the main fuel filter?

After replacing the main filter, I'm thinking that honestly the problem won't be solved and that I'll need to methodically check actual fuel pressures. Second question; can anyone recommend a good fuel pressure test kit that works well with these cars?

·
Premium Member
24,518 Posts
Was the car off the road for some time? Often the pumps don't survive a long period of sitting.
The front filter rarely blocks up, but it is worth changing. Easiest way is to undo the battery, then undo the two 13mm nuts, pull the whole assembly out of the car, clean and change on the bench. Mark all the hose to go back the right way.
There's a little port in the top of the housing to accept a pressure gauge fitting, 10mm ATF bolt.
Andrew

·
Registered
948 Posts
think roadtrip had a diy on how to rig up a pressure gage to check fuel pressure...might be on a sticky somewhere...i remember doing it about 6 years ago and it worked well

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Andrew, The car sat (I believe) for about 10 years out in California during the 90's and early 2000's. The PO then got it back into working condition over the course of another 10 years, and then sent it down south to his brother in New Orleans. I picked it up just a few weeks ago from the brother. I didn't get much insight into the work that was done in California, but the car does run so I know the fuel pump is at least still surviving (if just barely).

Your description of removing the battery first leads me to believe we have our car types mixed up. Mine is a '78 spider, with the battery in the trunk (back passenger side fender next to the spare tire wheel well, which is extremely rusted out, but thats a convo for another day!).

Alfaman, I'll keep an eye around for roadtrip's post. I did a good bit of searching yesterday but couldn't find much.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
All you need is a simple "T" fitting in the line between the front fuel filter and the injection pump. With the engine off, the reading will be steady, However, the the engine running the pressure pulses from the injection pump itself will cause an undampened gauge to fluctuate wildly . . . although you may be able to discern an average value. If you can get a dampened gauge, that would be best although a lot more expensive, I believe. I think I bought the 0-15 psi gauge itself at a local auto parts store for $5 and the block/nipples at ACE Hardware. The Harbor Freight set is about $90, but has an assortment of adapters and goes to 100 psi, so it's good for EFI engines as well.

With an unknown car, you should go through every component of the fuel system, soup-to-nuts to be sure that it's there, clean, and functioning correctly . . . such as checking that there is an outlet restrictor fuel nipple on the front of the injection pump, and not a completely open one.

If you would like a set of Spica technical material, Spica Factory Manual, and an Owner's Manual, drop me a PM with an email capable of receiving some large files. Gmail works fine.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Roadtrip, I would be indebted to you if I could get that information! Unfortunately I can't PM you yet, as I have not reached by 10 post quota (this is post 5). But my gmail is coedavidhamlin at gmail dot com (apparently I can't write my full email until I reach 10 posts either!).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Manuals

Hey Roadtrip, would it be possible for you to send over those manuals you mentioned? coedavidhamlin at gmail.com

1 - 7 of 7 Posts