Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys I'm looking to upgrade my fuel pressure regulator, to an adjustable one, also looking to upgrade the fuel pump to better assist in higher fuel pressure. there's a lot of cars that came with similar fuel pumps to our Milanos, some Beemers I've heard,that can provide higher flow rates. what do you guys recommend? After market suggestions are also welcomed. I plan on keeping the stock fuel rail. any pics of your installs would be highly appreciated.

Also I'll keep you guys posted but I've sourced some High performance fuel injectors for our Alfas (hose type) flowing 37pph (388.5 cc/min)@ 43.5psi & 33pph (346.5 cc/min) @ 36.25 psi for great prices 250.00 bucks for low impedance 275.00 High impedance, Flow matched sets 1.5% +/- guaranteed (sets come w/6 injectors plus hoses).

God Bless

Jose I

·
Registered
505 Posts
some seem to run an adjustable regulator in-line AFTER the factory 2.5bar one. This does work, but now you have two...You could tee off the rail into an aftermarket adjustable one I suppose.

I was under the impression that the factory pump was very adequate for anything but forced induction needs...bosch in line pumps are very tough. The same in-line type pump with similar flow rates were used in various BMW's, VW's, Audi's...and other stuff in the 80's. bigger engined cars and those with Bosch CIS injection have higher requirements, so use those. OR there are tonnes of proven aftermarket choices.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Curious as to what you have planned to require such an increase in injector flow.
Also, with such a significant increase in injector capacity, why also get an adjustable regulator?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Jose, I have an after market fuel pressure regulator set up for my GTV6, just yet to install it. A buddy is bringing me his spare fuel rail so I can test the fit. I need to do a t-belt and water pump on it pretty soon, I was planning to install it then.

On my GTV6, I have had over sized valves and a lot of head work done, plus CSC headers and a freer exhaust, I am still getting some lean surging in certain situations. I have done some adjustments to the AFM, but still need a little more fuel. On my Milano, I have cams, headers, custom exhaust and GoTech, and being able to program it makes it run much better, I am not quite ready to put a programmable system in the GTV6, just want to add a little more fuel pressure to help it run a little better.

·
Registered
131 Posts
A large increase in injector size would be needed if switching to E85. Running an adjustable regulator also allows you to lower idle fuel pressure, which can help an ECU control low speed fuelling on really large injectors (if injectors are really big, at idle, the open duration can become so short it's hard to get a good idle).

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
A large increase in injector size would be needed if switching to E85. Running an adjustable regulator also allows you to lower idle fuel pressure, which can help an ECU control low speed fuelling on really large injectors (if injectors are really big, at idle, the open duration can become so short it's hard to get a good idle).
But 388cc/min injectors are far from big. Bigger than biggest 12 valve injectors at 200cc/min, but are nothing in the huge injector caparisons.

Surely the OP is using a programmable computer. If it can't control 388cc/min injectors at idle, then it should be used as a wheel chock :p.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm gathering all the bits to finish my project with a turbo(s) for my verde.
my projects tend to drift in direction and start and stop often due to I'm in and out of the country sporadically most of the time with no idea when I'm coming or going. But thankfully it's now in the works for me to take my verde overseas to the Dominican republic Yaaayyyyyyy yippy (NO SPEED LIMITS) and a professional race track open to the public 3 times a week.
So back to the subject

No one has any pics of an adjustable or any aftermarket fuel pressure regulator adapted to the stock fuel rail?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Curious as to what you have planned to require such an increase in injector flow.
Also, with such a significant increase in injector capacity, why also get an adjustable regulator?
to better control and be able to fine adjust the fuel pressure adjustment doesn't have to be on the fly. Some people when tuning their map tend to adjust their injector duration to achieve the required A/F ratio and hence end up running a higher than nessasery duty cycle and the adjustable fuel regulator give me that much more tunability ( if that's even a word). and yes I will be running ethanol every so often so these injectors will allow me big power with both Gas and ethanol.

PS Hay SamW is your milano a 3.0? and if yes could I possibly have a copy of the map your running. here's my e-mail milanoverde1 @ yahoo .com ( no spaces)

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I might have found the upgrade for this, look up a Fuelab 535 mini regulator fits right in the stock location, I had to build a funny adaptor for the return line, have not installed it yet, but it measures well. Not convinced my -6AN to 14mm x 1.5 adaptor is the best, seems not to get enough threads, but I will try and post a picture later.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
The mix should be set with the duty. The PSI should be set to center the spray on the valve. Most times upping the PSI is bad as all you do is over shoot the valve and soak the far side of the port. upping the PSI may also affect the opening and closing of the injector

1 - 10 of 10 Posts