Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having recently completed a 1500 mile round trip from New Jersey to the Alfa Convention in Kentucky, I thought that the fuel mileage by brand of fuel may make for an interesting topic of discussion. Vehicle is a 1989 Spider Veloce with mild cams and a Magnaflow SS exhaust. Everything else is factory stock. Here's what I got;

Turkey Hill - 35.2mpg
Sunoco - 34.0
Sheetz - 32.6
Shell - 29.7
Delta - 29.6
Shell - 29.2
Shell - 28.9
Exxon - 27.1

·
Premium Member
2,630 Posts
Jim,

As you know, terrian makes a huge difference in mileage but if that were the case here, I would expect the first and last fillups to be closer together instead of the farthest apart. Were all these fillups purported to be 10% ethanol? Are you sure that something hasn't happened to your car? I'm pretty sure that I don't have to ask you about tire pressure. I'd be interested in knowing what your next tank of Turkey Hill gives you although I expect it will be more in town driving. Interesting data.

·
Registered
it's almost a alfa romeo spider
11,002 Posts
what is ' turkey hill '?

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Should have provided more details. :eek:

The mileages listed above are from best mpg to worst. They are not first to last.
All driving was on interstates taking the same route in both directions. The only non-interstate driving was in Lexington proper on tank Shell #1.

The order of fillups, first to last, was;
Delta - 29.6
Exxon - 27.1
Shell #1 - 29.7
Shell #2 - 29.2
Shell #3 - 28.9
Sunoco - 34.0
Sheetz - 32.6
Turkey Hill - 35.2

I noted some of the fuel was E10 but did notice them all. The Turkey Hill station is only 90 minutes away so I may drive there just to have a look.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Like Bianchi I ask, " What the hell is Turkey Hill"? We have a Chicken Bristol and a Rooster Run plus a Wild Turkey if you drink in Kentucky but I've never heard of Turkey Hill Gas! What holler are you from anyway? Must be puttin' some Nitro in their gas...

·
Registered
11,002 Posts
i guess because i am in california, we don't have turkey hill, chicken bristol, rooster run plus.. the father you are away from nascar country, i guess

·
Registered
11,002 Posts
i get on ave. on the highway at 70 mpg..30-32 on 87 oct, .arco am/pm gas..

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Yep ! Nitro in them there bump and grind car fur sure. Yep ! :D

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
I don't see much variation due to fuel supplier, but the induction system (Bosch FI vs dual Webers vs single Weber) and engine size can make a sizable difference. My Giulia Spider Veloce (dual Webers / 1600cc) got 25 - 27 mpg on the same trip as Jim's. My Milano Verde (Bosch FI / 3000cc) and Giulia Sprint (single Weber / 1600 cc) once got exactly the same mileage (31 - 32 mpg) in very hot weather on the Blue Ridge parkway. And the Sprint can get 36 -37 mpg if I stay below 72 mph (to stay out of the secondaries). Oddly, the Milano can get its best mileage in very hot weather with the A/C on (maybe the mixture is leaned out by the ECU to account for high air temp?). As they say,
YMMV.
Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts