Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replacing my leaking hose which had two 90 degree bends in it's one foot length, which is pretty tough (a lot of residual memory & links) for a 3/8 hose. Wondering if this was a pre-formed hose and if so, where to get? Or does one give up the anchor point, on the body, and just run a new line direct to the external pump? Thanks in advance.
Paul
89 Grad

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Since she's not going anywhere soon thought I'd post a picture to at least let me do something!!!
Narrow connector, to the right, is just a straight run and no problem (while I was there, thought I might as well get that one too!)
Referencing Alfa parts diagrams, I dont see a special pre-formed hose for the S curve!!
Centerline says it's a 13mmID hose.
IAP say's it's a 12mmID hose.
One too lose or one too tight!!!???
Oh the confusion
Paul

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,003 Posts
I think the original may have been formed. If you're replacing it with a piece of regular hose, just make it longer to avoid any sharp bends/kinks. Make sure it doesn't hang down to act like the hooks that stop airplanes landing on a aircraft carrier.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My solution, or I don't know what the Italians were thinking went the put that short "S" bend in!!

Talked to my good friend, the parts man, at DiFatta Brothers, who advised that indeed the "S" hose was preformed originally, but is no longer available and they suggested using internal wire coil in my 1/2 hose to prevent kinks.

Though that while this would work, it was unnecessary complicated and that :|I could spread the "S" out over two feet of hose if I eliminated the 18", free standing section of hard pipe that ran from the tank connection to the "S" hose, plus this would eliminate two clamp connections and thus reduce my leak potential.
Here's a picture of the eliminated "metal hose". Can't get a good shot of my replacement system as car is on stands and I cant get far enough away to fit in the shot...will get a good shot next time she's on a lift!!
Went with 1/2" ID hose (from NAPA, but they did have true 8mm hose for my other connection) which is 12.7mm and that's a bit loose, but with clamps has not yet leaked. Think I'll get some 12mm hose from IAP and replace it (13mm from Centerline will be too big!!) for piece of mind!! But I did love the "over rich exhaust fires" that flew out the rear's of the down shifting T33s/917s/GT40s when I was at Sebring in my youth (Oh, how I flaunt my seniorness!!! LOL), but if fire comes out the rear of my Alfa it will be a fatal fuel leak fire!!! Not excess fuel burn off to be follow by a glorious blast of RPMs!!!

Thanks to all for their suggestions
Paul
89 Grad

Attachments

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Yep, this was a stepped hose alright. And it was NLA long ago. I solved it by using a brass 90 degree ell, and two different sizes of hose barbs, the 3/8" and 1/2", IIRC. Got a photo somewhere but can't seem to find it. I think I posted it here on the BB in response to this very same question previously.

Crap-- it sucks getting old... ya misplace everything!

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Yes the original hose was preformed. I solved the tight bend problem in a straight hose length by using a long enough straight hose to pull a full 360 degree loop in it and then it worked out just fine. But I did have to use some strong plastic wire ties to secure the 360 loop so it would stay tucked up high and tight and not hang down and get caught by any passing road debris.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts