Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Received my gas tank back and installed a Fuel Level Sending Unit I purchased from Cenerline. I put approximately 2 gallons of gas but gauge was reading over half full. Put another 7 gallons at the gas station gauge read past full. Is there something I missed upon installation? It seemed pretty straight forward. Defective sending unit? Defective gas gauge? I wasn't impressed with the quality of the sender seemed cheaply made. Centerline will not take it back because it was submerged in gas. Any suggestions to remedy this?
Thanks In Advance,
Chuck

·
Registered
223 Posts
The wand holding the float is probably bent in the wrong configuration. It should be hockey-stick shaped (about 125 degrees, plus or minus, if I go by what my sender looked like). If your gauge is reading fuller than it should be, then the wand may be bent too far beyond the proper angle. Its easy to bend back to where it should be.

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
877 Posts
I dealt with the same thing, finally bent it to an accurate reading. Was playing with the idea of trying some inline resistors to see if it affected the reading in the appropriate direction....

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What would be the process for adjusting the wand/float to get an accurate reading. Right now I have approximetly 8 -9 gallons in there what would the reading be on the gauge 1/2 full 3/4 full? Right now it reads past full

·
Registered
8,058 Posts
a few ideas:)
If you are sure you have 9 gallons in there, adjust the float to read 3/4 full, because that is what it is.
or
if you haven't thrown out the old sender, compare the new to that, then bend arm to copy it
or
run the tank near empty (don't run it dry!), then fill with 6 gallons (1/2 tank) then adjust float to read 1/2 tank

a full tank holds 46 litres (12.2 US gallons)
the reserve is about 6-7 litres ...below that the low fuel light should come on.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Dom with that information I can accurately adjust the float and get it pretty close. Appreciate the fast response.
Stay Safe,
Chuck

·
Registered
1978 Spider
344 Posts
that was my thought...compare it to the old sender and match the bends. Or better yet as Dom said...fill tank 1/2 full and adjust the arm until the gauge matches.

·
Registered
1978 Spider
344 Posts
And it was probably bent in shipping or during your installation. I doubt defective.

·
Super Moderator
10,585 Posts
or run the tank near empty (don't run it dry!), then fill with 6 gallons (1/2 tank) then adjust float to read 1/2 tank
Here's a simpler idea:

Given that Alfa tanks have relatively straight sides, the depth of the fuel in the tank is pretty much proportional to the percentage of fuel in the tank. In other words, if the tank is 10" deep (I just made that up), if you put a dipstick in the tank through the hole for the sender and determine that the fuel is 6-1/4" deep, then it's 62.5% full - adjust the gauge float till it reads 5/8.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
looking at your fuel sender the one I purchased doesn't have those vertical support brackets holding the pump. The one I pulled had one. I'm assuming yours is the original as well as the one I pulled. It seems like the replacements senders are not equipped with them--- too bad.

·
Registered
8,058 Posts
so how did you join the pump to the sender (if not with the metal bracket)...did you just use a length of hose...? did you use the original 'stepped hose' (as in Eric's photo of an original)?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Perhaps the metal bracket is removable from the old unit? I know there are a lot of modular parts on this pump/sender unit, but can't say I noticed when I had mine apart.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I used the original step hose which really dosen't make for a secure installation. I also checked Classic Alfa in Europe they had the same.

·
Registered
223 Posts
NOW I REMEMBER - that bracket comes off to replace the fuel pump, which I did, and was attached with a hose clamp. So there should be a clamp on your old unit, though I don't know how you would have got the old sending unit off without dealing with that clamp before. Perhaps your old unit didn't have that bracket? Though I can't believe a pump would stay attached for long without it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I used the original step hose which really dosen't make for a secure installation. I also checked Classic Alfa in Europe they had the same.
NOW I REMEMBER - that bracket comes off to replace the fuel pump, which I did, and was attached with a hose clamp. So there should be a clamp on your old unit, though I don't know how you would have got the old sending unit off without dealing with that clamp before. Perhaps your old unit didn't have that bracket? Though I can't believe a pump would stay attached for long without it.
The sender I replaced had the bracket. You probably only replaced the pump and still used your fuel sender. In my situation my sender went bad and my pump was good. Theirs no way the bracket fits on these new fuel senders so the step hose is the only thing holding the pump to the sender.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Theirs no way the bracket fits on these new fuel senders so the step hose is the only thing holding the pump to the sender.
So there's no way to alter the bracket to fit the new sender? Its hard to imagine the new sender could be so different from the original, but then again, I've never seen one. Either way, the pump will need to be secured somehow.

·
Registered
1978 Spider
344 Posts
I just did mine. The old pump had no hose clamps. When I tried to install hose clamps on the short hose between the pump and pick up tube that bracket would no longer fit.

I suspect the bracket replaces the need for clamps to hold the pump onto the pick up tube. And the hose fits snuggly enough to not leak...or not leak too much...this is just a low PSI boost/primer pump to get fuel to the main electric pump.

·
Registered
1978 Spider
344 Posts
also, that bracket holds the inlet screen for the in tank pump. at least on mine it did.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts